Longs week end parking

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vadim34
14ers: 58 
13ers: 615
Trip Reports (0)

Longs week end parking

Post by Vadim34 »

Planning to be going on Longs this Saturday. Sounds like it's very busy there on the week ends. Is the trailhead parking an issue,when too many cars or is there an overflow parking somewhere there? Don't feel like driving there and not be able to park..thank you!
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Longs week end parking

Post by GregMiller »

The last time I climbed Longs (on a Sunday in September) I was able to park in the trailhead lot at 3 AM. Time before that (Saturday in early August 2011) we had to park a couple hundred yards down the road, don't know which time for sure, but it was probably around 3 AM. Once the lot is full, folks just park on the side of the road going down, plenty of room for it. I figure if you're there before 4 you shouldn't have to park too far down, although I believe most folks recommend an earlier start.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Vadim34
14ers: 58 
13ers: 615
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vadim34 »

Thanks! Sounds like it's never too early for Longs..haha..it's my finisher,so it can't wait!!
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Wow, great one to finish on! Good luck!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
The Moose
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by The Moose »

I was up there last Tuesday and the lot was almost full by 3:30. If you hate parking below the lot like I do, I'd recommend being there by 3 to be safe. Right now the conditions are excellent, and a lot of people know it. What a great finisher!
Now, bring me that horizon!
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

I was up there last Saturday and the lot was full by the time I got there at 2:15. In the past I've gotten there as late as 2:45/3:00 and there's still been parking. If there is no parking, you can go back down to the road that leads in to the campgrounds and park on the side of the road there--meaning take the road, turn around and park on the side of the campground road--instead of driving down further on Longs Peak Rd and finding a place to park off on the shoulder.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I just park on the road around where I see the first few cars. I dont want to spend 20 minutes futilely looking for parking.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

A couple of Sundays ago, I arrived at 1:30am and there were 5 spots left. By the time I left at 1:45, there were none. Also, there were cars parked along the road even though there were spots left in the lot. I suspect the road parkers were campers that parked the previous day. Therefore, it might pay to go all the way to the lot even if you see cars parked on the road.