Longs Peak??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
brerrabbit
14ers: 57  45 
13ers: 189 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Longs Peak??

Post by brerrabbit »

I'd be interested in this as well if anyone will be out there on thursday or friday. I'll let you know when I'm out there on Saturday, planning on attempting the radical slam, depending on weather of course. Taking microspikes and hoping that will be sufficient.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Pictures of recent ice on the Keyhole trail:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/l ... report.htm
This before this weeks percipitation.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Things have changed radically since 8/24, of course. Likely they have changed radically since this morning. Justin reported that there was rime ice on the route from the top of the Trough on up this morning, but he managed to summit with "careful footing". Two days ago there was 1/2" snow everywhere and the N Face
Cables Route was completely iced, this morning the Cables looked basically dry (at least what I could see from the Boulderfield). Things change fast with this weather, but likely all will be fine once things warm up for a day or two. Forecast is improving - finally!
brerrabbit
14ers: 57  45 
13ers: 189 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by brerrabbit »

The loft route was devoid of ice except for the ledge system when you exit to the left and even then there was very little. Keplinger's and the Clark's Arrow downclimb were completely dry. The Homestretch was pretty rough with quite a bit of ice around, although you could always find a way, just takes a bit extra time. Keyhole route seems to be in better shape compared to the report on 8/29, still some ice but only in a few sections.