Democrat, Lincoln, Bross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Re: Democrat, Lincoln, Bross

Post by IntrepidXJ »

MonGoose wrote:Mt Bross is closed not because anyone has chosen to close it but instead the closure is the result of failure to completely verify access.
I'm fairly positive that hiking across private property in Colorado is legal as long as it is not posted closed by the property owners (or you are asked to leave in person by the owners).
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^I don't think so.

I believe it's Third degree criminal trespass when entering private property (land) without permission.

http://www.abclegaldocs.com/Downloads_s ... g_Laws.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
IntrepidXJ
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

I guess I should've been more specific above....instead of private property I should have said 'unimproved and apparently unused land'

http://tornado.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_ ... sl_113.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Except as is otherwise provided in section 33-6-116 (1), C.R.S., a person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land which that is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him the person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person or unless notice forbidding entry is given by posting with signs at intervals of not more than four hundred forty yards or, if there is a readily identifiable entrance to the land, by posting with signs at such entrance to the private land or the forbidden part of the land.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

IntrepidXJ wrote:I guess I should've been more specific above....instead of private property I should have said 'unimproved and apparently unused land'

http://tornado.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_ ... sl_113.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Except as is otherwise provided in section 33-6-116 (1), C.R.S., a person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land which that is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him the person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person or unless notice forbidding entry is given by posting with signs at intervals of not more than four hundred forty yards or, if there is a readily identifiable entrance to the land, by posting with signs at such entrance to the private land or the forbidden part of the land.
I am no land expert, but believe also if a landowner does not make active effort to prevent the public from utilizing the private land for a period of time, it could be considered a public easement just by the sole fact that the public uses it regularly, has been for some time, and has the expectation to be able to use it in the future. I would love for someone with knowledge of the laws in this area to confirm/deny/correct this. But I swear I've heard of that before.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

MonGoose wrote:"The true summit of Mt Bross remains closed at this time, due to inability to get contact with all of the land owners (100% consensus is needed by all landowners in order to open access.) Hikers can do the full loop (up Democrat, over Cameron, to Lincoln, then around the summit of Bross), but are not granted access to the Bross summit."
-Taken from the Colorado Fourteener Initiative page on Mt Bross.

Mt Bross is closed not because anyone has chosen to close it but instead the closure is the result of failure to completely verify access. Every year hundreds (maybe even a few thousand) people wander over to the summit without conflict and I suspect the situation will remain that way for the foreseeable future. I also don't think anyone on this website would question your checkbox of Bross if you choose to follow Scott P's suggestion. Have a great hike.
If unanimous owner consent is required for opening access it may well be required for prosecuting trespassers too, which makes it seem pretty unlikely, especially if it's true that they can't even find everyone.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

IntrepidXJ wrote:I guess I should've been more specific above....instead of private property I should have said 'unimproved and apparently unused land'

The summit closure is posted at the trailhead
IntrepidXJ
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

adamjm wrote:
The summit closure is posted at the trailhead
Not by the property owners. The USFS cannot post private property as closed.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Well, they did. Go read the sign.

Not sure what the issue is. Go hike to the true summit if you want to.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Not by the property owners. The USFS cannot post private property as closed.
I believe CFI posted it, rather than the Forest Service.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Not by the property owners. A non-profit cannot post private property that they don't own as closed.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

gatesign.jpg
gatesign.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 200 times
maybe one of these would help?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

We made it almost to the TH in a ford focus. I saw the closure sign at the TH and decided to not summit Bross that day.... Until I saw literally everyone going for it, and I changed my mind and followed the crowd. I'm usually a leader, but that day I was a follower and it seemed ok.
Climb up Pints down