Columbia routes - which to take?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Columbia routes - which to take?

Post by climbinfool »

The West Slopes isn't bad. I've also been up the Southeast Ridge a couple of times (in both winter conditions and summer conditions). It's long, but it's also just a really nice and relaxing hike - good hike to just let your mind wander.

When I was younger and very new (meaning that I really had no idea what I was doing), I tried to go up that neverending scree slope directly to the west. That was dumb. :0)
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
jeffs
14ers: 45 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffs »

I haven't been able to find any GPS info on the Frenchman Creek TH? I see it listed on this site but it doesn't show up on the map? Suggestions?
Hey, it's flat up here?!
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

jeffs wrote:I haven't been able to find any GPS info on the Frenchman Creek TH? I see it listed on this site but it doesn't show up on the map? Suggestions?
I have a GPS track in my winter report on Harvard (same drainage/TH). Once in the higher basin, just head left for Columbia. You should be able to drive a bit higher to the TH too. :)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Frenchman Creek for both, whether you traverse or do each separately. As mentioned, there is no real trail, (esp. to Columbia) from the basin, (sort of like Culebra). Watch out for bears in the area. Really nice and infrequently visited area up there. The only down side (if you don't have a good 4x4) is the long approach from where a 2wd can safely get to. Last time I was in there, I saw a few bowhunters, so if you're there in hunting season, wear something bright and try your best not to look like a deer or elk.
roguejackalope
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 25 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by roguejackalope »

Sugar Madison wrote:
Gene913 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the east ridge from Three Elk Creek for the ascent and the SE ridge route for the descent. The best part of the route was a Sawatch climb with solitude and almost no other people on the route. check out the trip report.
I did the same, only in reverse. Very nice tour of Columbia and I never saw a soul.
This. Especially if it looks like weather in the afternoon. Three Elk basin is quite a delight and the trail is fairly easy to find once you start to drop below treeline.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin
mountainute
14ers: 42  1  5 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountainute »

Hey David,

the standard route is not nearly as bad as you think based on all the complaints. it's middle steep, and there is a packed trail. the worst i encountered was a group of people crawling down the hill, rolling off lots of rocks, so i traversed out a bit (that's still feasible), while the group switched to shouting advice that i was "off route"
(avoiding their rock fall). the moral is - there are lots of people out and about on the 14 standard routes without much exprience. the mountain without people is not dangerous (by my standard anyways).
I have also done one of the ridge routes , the one that branches off the approach road to Harvard - its definitely easy to find especially in the lower reaches.
Then lots in the trees. you may want light where the forested ridge steepens (lots trees make it dark anyways).
I *think* the std route is less effort. your call.

have fun, be safe, mountainute