Mt. Bierstadt in Late October?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hondacr182
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Bierstadt in Late October?

Post by hondacr182 »

Hi, I'm planning a late season trip and I'm interested in either Mt Bierstadt or Mt. Evans on October 18th, 2014. I'm wondering if this is simply too late in the season to hike these mountains.
Last edited by hondacr182 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt in Late October?

Post by denvermikey »

Every season is different. Two years ago I did Mt Oklahoma Thanksgiving weekend, 90% snow-free with only a few snow fields to worry about. Some years routes can be completely snow covered by mid-October. Just keep an eye on things as the time gets closer.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Great time to go. Be prepared for colder Temps and have adequate footwear (my weakness often, I like running shoes). Seriously doubt we'll have a lot of snow accumulated by then, though.

EDIT: By adequate footwear, I mean, have a boot that is water resistant enough to withstand stepping through snow all day. Not too likely, but certainly possible.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

A few years ago I did Bierstadt Thanksgiving day and only saw 4 other people. Snow was a minimal issue and we only used microspikes for part of the hike.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Agree...was up there late Oct last year, the snow added to the experience and there were two other people on the trail, the whole time, on a bluebird day. Now that's the way to hike Bierstadt!
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Did the hike in mid November 2 years ago and it was great. About 6 inches of snow on the ground and 1 other person on the summit.
I'm slower than Scott P.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I presume you mean without snow/ice equipment. Else with these you can climb any day of the year.

Mt Evans closed today Sept 2 at the Summit Lake (5 miles) and will try to stay open to there until Sept 28. Then it becomes a 14 mile road hike each way with possible snow drifts along the way. There are a couple of other ways to the Evans summit.
Guanella may or may not be open until the trailhead in late October depending on snow. Often the access stops 1-4 miles from the summer trailhead. Ask a few days before your hike.

One of five years is a drought year with low-snow hiking until Thanksgiving. This does not look like a drought year.

The classic Mt Quandry trail tends to have year-round access and low avalanche danger.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Lots of good advice above.
I'm wondering if this is simply too late in the season to hike these mountains.
With some rare exceptions, any mountain in Colorado, especially ones like Bierstadt can be climbed January 1 through December 31. There is no such thing as too early or too late. There is such thing as proper equipment and planning for weather conditions.
Every season is different......Just keep an eye on things as the time gets closer.
What he said. Late October can feel like summer or full on winter. Check the weather conditions when the time gets closer. Late October is really hard to predict.
This does not look like a drought year.
I hope you are right, but it's hard to say. Plenty of drought winters have followed early snowstorms and strong monsoons. 2001-2002 is a prime example. In early September, several feet of snow fell in the mountains (even down to 7000 feet). There was at least four feet of snow on some of the mountains around Grays Peak and Berthoud Pass. This was followed by the worst drought winter on record in much of Colorado.

Looking at the actual weather data, there doesn't seem to be any real correlation between early storms and wet winters.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I think the op made his intentions clear with the use of the word "hike". Most easy 14ers by October 18 will still require climbing. But it is very hard to predict more than just a few days in advance.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I "hiked" (no microspikes, ice axe, etc.) Antero on November 7, 2010 in 75 degree sunshine with my shirt off. So you never really know what you are going to get in shoulder season. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have amazing weather.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

hondacr182 wrote:Hi, I'm planning a late season trip and I'm interested in either Mt Bierstadt or Mt. Evans on October 18th, 2014. I'm wondering if this is simply too late in the season to hike these mountains.
I think more than likely you will not have any problems. Probably won't be much snow, it still tends to melt off even up high through October, plus the trail on Bierstadt faces west, which means the wind tends to blow most of the snow away, or it becomes wind packed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You don't have to decide on a peak yet. Guanella Pass might be closed by then. Quandary east ridge trailhead is always reachable, although the route itself might have snow (as might any peak).

You should ask this question a few days before your trip, and you might get usable answers.
Exiled Michigander wrote:I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have amazing weather.
"Amazing weather" would be several feet of snow. I'm sure Bill would back me up on this. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump