Climbing 14ers with broken ribs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scberger
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing 14ers with broken ribs

Post by scberger »

Just my luck, coming to CO this Friday for 10 days of hiking 14ers. Annual trip with several friends meeting me there. I am on the quest to hike them all and have completed 11 so far. I live in TX (not a Texan, husband got transferred here :( . Anyway, last Thurs was taking a training walk with my 2 dogs and wearing 30lb pack and tripped and feel. Came down hard and broke 6th and 9th ribs. Non displaced so Dr has cleared me to go hiking, just told me don't fall again...I just wonder if any of you have had experience hiking 14ers with broken ribs? Any advice. Thanks
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Climbing 14ers with broken ribs

Post by jdorje »

If you can hike up 10-100 flights of stairs, and (might be harder) back down, you can hike any of the class 1 14ers. Carry your pack weight on the stairs trial. I would guess having a pack with a strong frame, or some help from friends in reducing its weight, would help.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Ouch! Only advice I can think of is to stay away from narcotic painkillers, stick with NSAIDs. The opioids suppress breathing which does not mix well with higher altitude. Although, if the injury is aggravated, it might be good to have a stronger painkiller on hand to help with the hike out/down.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I have done it. But wore a fanny pack instead of a day pack and had hiking partners carry extra stuff. Also brought iodine so that I could refill my water bottle without carry a lot of weight in water. Also, I tried to stay on 2nd class stuff or very little 3rd class stuff, so was picky with the 14ers I climbed (e.g. Yale, Huron, Handies, Elbert, Quandry, etc would be good to start your trip with).
For you, you may not be acclimated (think you said you're from out of state), so don't know if you'll be sucking wind and how much that will hurt your ribs.
With broken ribs, it's more about how much pain you're in and willing to endure, not so much that you'll worsen your injury.
Good luck and don't fall down :)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

HikerGuy wrote:Ouch! Only advice I can think of is to stay away from narcotic painkillers, stick with NSAIDs. The opioids suppress breathing which does not mix well with higher altitude. Although, if the injury is aggravated, it might be good to have a stronger painkiller on hand to help with the hike out/down.
Ditto for ibruprofen-type pain killers. They can distort your sense of thirst and harm kidneys in large amounts.
scberger
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scberger »

Thanks for advice everyone. This is a great community. I am going to get some peaks in, come hell or high water!