Pikes Peak Challenge This Weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Pikes Peak Challenge This Weekend

Post by Kojones »

The annual Pikes Peak Challenge is this coming Saturday. There are three events this year which will show increased foot traffic on Barr Trail and around Manitou Springs. The new event this year is the hike to Barr Camp. This means that people who have previously not hiked Barr Trail for this event might do so this year with this new "easier" option. This could also poach some participants from the Summit Hike, but overall I would think there are more people on the trail this year. If you plan to hike via Barr Trail, expect lots more people. There shouldn't be huge impact on the summit experience as the event uses a building other than the main Summit House. If you plan to drive the Pikes Peak Highway, please be considerate of me and my fellow drivers in white 15-passenger vans. We represent the event, and will drive the road multiple times accordingly. Going down, there is a reason I am driving slower than you want me to - I want to get through the brake check without issue. I don't want to make my whole van of tired hikers wait 30 minutes for a typically 45-minute drive to Memorial Park because I was a little too speedy.

http://www.pikespeakchallenge.com/

Stay safe and enjoy.

Cheers,
Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Pikes Peak Challenge This Weekend

Post by Kojones »