September trip planning advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: September trip planning advice

Post by Tornadoman »

I haven't done the Northeast Ridge so I can't really comment on that route. East ridge goes through nice aspen groves down low, and has GREAT views back toward Twin Lakes.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

I haven't done the east ridge, but I've heard it is slightly easier. While the northeast ridge is pretty much a walk up, it is rather steep. There is lots of dispersed camping near the North Elbert Trailhead (NE Ridge).
Krullin_14ers
14ers: 51  6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Krullin_14ers »

I'd recomend Elbert too. Ive done it a few times myself, because I like it so much. Its a nice hike with very small elements of danger. Lots of camping near the trailhead too!
](*,)
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The east ridge route is shorter only if you have 4WD. Hiking from the passenger car trailhead adds 2 miles each way.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
shcat5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shcat5 »

Love to hear more about the N v E trails. Headed to Elbert in early October. East coaster, so the elevation is always a fun challenge!
Will have a 4wd rental car...so I think I can get to the higher trail head for east, my original pick. But then reading trip reports, started leaning north.

Crampon weather in early October?
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

shcat5 wrote:Crampon weather in early October?
Crampon, no. Trail traction such as microspikes, maybe above timberline (but probably not).
I'm slower than Scott P.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

shcat5 wrote:Love to hear more about the N v E trails. Headed to Elbert in early October. East coaster, so the elevation is always a fun challenge!
Will have a 4wd rental car...so I think I can get to the higher trail head for east, my original pick. But then reading trip reports, started leaning north.

Crampon weather in early October?
East trail is by far the better way to go, having done both. The road to the east trailhead is easy 4WD. A competent driver could probably get a 2WD vehicle to within a few hundred yards of the upper trailhead.