September trip planning advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmclimber
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

September trip planning advice

Post by nmclimber »

Most of my experience has been in the San Juans but I am looking for some advice planning a weekend trip mid-month with some friends flying into Denver. I'm looking for a scenic 14er with good car camping at/near the trailhead and some shorter/easy hikes to fill the rest of the weekend. Must be within a few hours drive from Denver, accessible with a Subaru Forester, and not exceeding class 2. From the research I've done Elbert, Huron, and DeCaLiBron seem to be decent options but am open to other suggestions. Would appreciate any advice on picking a 14er, camping options, and nearby hikes.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Re: September trip planning advice

Post by scottaskinger »

I'm going next week and can share more then, but from what I've read in other posts there is a lot of car camping around the Mt. Massive TH and the North Mount Elbert TH. From here you have Class 1 and Class 2 options up Massive and Elbert.

You might also consider Mt. Evans via Mt. Spalding and across the West ridge, http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... =mt.+evans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This is close to Denver, less crowded than standard routes and offers a little more excitement than just a simple trail (class 2+). I did this with my 9 year old (at the time) and he had no problems. I'm not positive about camping though, I think you would be camping about 20 minutes away from where you start hiking.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

Also, this: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Mount Lindsey.

It's a great hike, there are other 13ers that vary from easy to a little more, the scenery is fantastic and your car can get to the TH.

It might be a little farther than some other options but the traffic will be less and the options once there are great.

It is 2+ but not for long.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Sounds reasonable. The only issue with Huron is there is a 2WD and a high clearance trailhead. The road gets gnarly after entering woods south of Winfield. The 2WD stop spot adds about 45 minutes of easy hiking each way.

And it could be below freezing both at night and on the summit.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Second highpilgrim's suggestion of Lindsey. The Blanca-Ellingwood face is impressively huge to hike under, and there's a lake up there somewhere. You might even get some aspens changing by then. There might be early-season hunters up there by mid-month (bowhunters or muzzleloaders).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

The view Jim mentioned, on the way to Lily Lake. VV
blanca ellingwood nordwand.jpg
blanca ellingwood nordwand.jpg (339.34 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
nmclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmclimber »

Thanks for all the great advice! I love the looks of Lindsey but am a little wary taking a group up on their first 14er. Should I be concerned about the gully on the North Face route for first timers? I'd be curious to hear about your experience next week with Elbert/Massive scottaskinger. I called the forest service today and apparently Elbert Creek Campground is closing for the season after this weekend- there are no services available after that but it sounded like it was still possible to camp there. Was told there was good dispersed camping in the area as well.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

How about Elbert from the South Elbert TH. Your friends will climb the state high point and by mid month, the aspen should start looking nice as well as the red groundcover up high. Class 1 to the summit. There are some nice car camping spots along the road before it gets too rough.

Or Belford/Oxford/Missouri north of Buena Vista.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

nyker wrote:How about Elbert from the South Elbert TH. Your friends will climb the state high point and by mid month, the aspen should start looking nice as well as the red groundcover up high. Class 1 to the summit. There are some nice car camping spots along the road before it gets too rough.
This.. climbing the highest Colorado 14er will feel like a great accomplishment to your new friends. My wife and I were there last weekend with a couple 14er newbie friends and it seemed a good choice. The aspens just had a hint of color, and I kept thinking that it would be a gorgeous route in a couple weeks. We had a 4WD Dodge Ram but didn't need to take it out of 2WD to make the upper trailhead. I think the Forester should make it there fine if you go slow. There was even one low clearance car at the upper TH although I wouldn't have risked it!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Highpilgrim, incredible picture!!
nmclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmclimber »

I think I'm leaning towards Elbert at this point. Is there any particular reason to choose the East ridge vs. the Northeast ridge other than the East ridge having slightly less elevation gain? Looks like good camping options near both and fairly similar distance. Thanks again for the suggestions!