Harvard/Columbia

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Harvard/Columbia

Post by tjerasdave »

Anyone have a good beta on Harvard/Columbia? I'm looking at attempting them on Tuesday. Thx!
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Harvard/Columbia

Post by jsdratm »

Columbia was clear of snow and ice today and it looked like Harvard was as well
tjerasdave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Awesome, thanks!
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

I had been thinking about doing that pair Tuesday, too...but the forecast is AWFUL. just fyi
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

A group of us did this 2 weeks ago. Some thoughts:

We thought it would be easier to start with Columbia rather than Harvard because the loose slopes of Columbia are easier to ascend than to descend. This proved the case for us, but is certainly the less popular option.

Also, escape from the traverse is possible, but puts you down by Frenchman Creek which is a long slog back to the standard TH.

The literature suggests 2 hours for the traverse, but it took us nearly 4. 2 hours is pretty optimistic (check the Nolan's FKT attempts for recent fast times).
tjerasdave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Anna, I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast as well; hopefully it it works out. I'm planning on starting at dawn if you want company.
Jeff, thx for the advice. At this point I'll try for one but of the weather looks favorable I might try to tack on the other. I'll keep your experience in mind before committing to the traverse.