Best late September 14er conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trail_gal
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Best late September 14er conditions?

Post by trail_gal »

Hi all, a friend from sea level will be accompanying me the last weekend of September to climb a 14er and I am trying to discern the best choice to climb. I live in the Frisco area, so ideally something closer to there. I have done a couple 13,000' peaks and Quandary, so I'm still fairly new to 14ers. I know late September/early October there is a potential for snowfall, so what would be the best choice with that in mind? The friend from sea level will have acclimated for three days at 9,000'. I am particularly interested in climbing Evans, Democrat, Lincoln, or Grays/Torreys. Ideally whichever one has the best summit view!

Thanks!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Best late September 14er conditions?

Post by bergsteigen »

G&T will have the best views. The road up to Evans will be closed this weekend.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

I was on Democrat yesterday and the views were great. It is also a fairly short hike over manageable terrain. The weather is completely hit or miss depending on the day and even the time of day.
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

Heading up that way myself from KS on Sept 25th. Going to attempt Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross loop the 26th and Quandary the 27th before heading back to Denver. Also hoping the weather holds...but plan on bringing traction (microspikes) and plenty of layers for sure
greenhorn1
14ers: 5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by greenhorn1 »

Will also be visiting the CO mts the last week of Sept. from STL. Already picked up a prescription of Acetazolamide for altitude sickness. I hope it helps. I'm not hoping for a miracle (well maybe a little bit) but I would love to take on a Class II 14er such as Sherman or Belford while I'm out there. If I can't handle the higher altitude, then I'll settle for relaxing in a hot spring or two. Keeping my fingers crossed [-o< Hope you have a nice visit with your friend.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt
queue_ball
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by queue_ball »

greenhorn1, I trust you have experience with Diamox and are not planning to rely on it without super-hydrating starting a week or so before your trip...? I myself am subject to AS on every climb above 13,500', and the time I tried acetazolamide without doing my part on the hydration, it was as if I hadn't done ANYthing. There's no pill that substitutes for adequate hydration, as far as I can tell. Good luck and be safe! qb
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Potpourri for $800, Alex.

That's what Mid-September to Mid-October climbing is all about.
It can be nasty cold, snow wind and even accumulations.
But, if you hit the right day, it can be warm, spectacular, colorful and dry.
Some of my best climbing days have been that last weekend in September.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

Agree with Queue_Ball completely. It is all about the water. I am a fellow flatlander and I typically fly in and arrive at a hotel around 10pm on day 1, hiking the next morning by 6am and then for two more days before returning home on day 5. The first day is always the toughest but I drink a lot of water the night before, then again when I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee, then again when I wake up and all the way to the TH. Additionally, I bring 3L of water (for a shorter hike) and usually 4L. I quit using a CamelBak (water tube) because I feel like I don't drink enough water, as it is a struggle to suck it through the tube and breathe. I drink from a 1L Nalgene and store extra water in lightweight Platypus holders. Taking time throughout the hike to drink lots of water has solved my altitude sickness problems.

My other secret up this same alley is taking potassium capsules for cramps. When I do a longer hike my legs tend to start cramping and sometimes when I'm sleeping later at night. If I proactively take potassium (300mg, 2 or 3 times a day) when I'm drinking my water, I don't get painful leg cramps. It is really hard for me to get enough potassium eating just natural foods.
whitneyc0319
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whitneyc0319 »

I would avoid Evans - the summit is kinda lame. Some good views but you can also see the road leading down the mountain. It doesn't feel like you're immersed in nature, especially when the road is open and you have tons of people that drove up to the parking lot then walked a few hundred feet to the summit...and you worked your butt off to get there.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

"...tons of people that drove up to the parking lot then walked a few hundred feet to the summit...and you worked your butt off to get there."[/quote]

The top portion of the road is closed now, as usual, after Labor Day. This can be good or bad- you won't see many people on the summit this way.
masonpips
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by masonpips »

It's a late response for this thread but arrived home last night (9/29) after a weekend climbing. Friday, Quandary - probably the best weather I've ever had hiking. Saturday, Bross, Lincoln, Cameron (we decided the hot tub sound better than Democrat) - good weather day - a bit windier and more clouds, but ended up being super nice. Sunday, Sherman, started off beautiful and cool. Went to FREEZING and almost completely overcast. Plus the winds. My God. But we got 5 done in a short trip and were thrilled. Last year we traveled September 5-9 so knew we were taking a weather chance but the colors made up for the cold!