Best book on fourteeners

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Krueger
Trip Reports (0)

Best book on fourteeners

Post by Krueger »

Someone told me of the best book / guide for Colorado fourteeners but I can't remember the name of it. Does anyone know of a good book? Just looking for helpful information and maps for a first timer.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Best book on fourteeners

Post by ameristrat »

Colorado's Fourteeners: From Hikes to Climbs by Gerry Roach is your best bet for a one-size-fits-all guide.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Yes the Roach Bible
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Browse the route descriptions on this site. Seriously - Roach's books are great (I own all three editions) but this site is amazing.

Also check the FAQ: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
caverdude
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by caverdude »

Got to agree with Jim. The Roach book is great for researching all the options on 14ers, but 14ers.com has the most up-to-date information about the most popular routes. That's my strategy when climbing CO 14ers.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

+1 on Roach, I have print versions of 2nd and 3rd editions as well as the Kindle version of the 2nd (there isn't a 3rd edition Kindle version). I research with the print version at home. I bring my iphone with the Kindle book already downloaded so I can use it as reference during the hike. My iphone is also my camera.

And a BIG +1 on 14ers.com. The more I've used this site the more that I have realized how valuable it is. The forum is great but there are SO many tools on this site. A couple that I started using recently that you might not know abou or have not tried:

1. PDF versions of Routes - These have the complete route descriptions, pictures, emergency contact info and more...all in one file. I download this file to Dropbox and this is synced to my iphone as well, so I also have this as reference if needed.

2. GPX files for your GPS device - Very handy to quickly get waypoints into your GPS for routes that are off trail

I will also say that I've started noticing things to be a lot more detailed and accurate on 14ers.com than within Roachs' book, which makes sense as it would be extremely difficult to keep a print version of 100s of routes up to date. This is not a knock on the Roach book, it is EXTREMELY valuable and well read. I will always recommend it.