Mountain lion on Spalding, possibly Evans

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Mountain lion on Spalding, possibly Evans

Post by cpb145 »

So the story starts this past Monday, the 8th. I did a night climb up Evans via Spalding from Summit Lake, for two reasons. First, never did a full moon hike and wanted to catch the sunrise on the ridge. Second, I had some friends coming in from the east coast and they showed interest in perhaps tackling a 14er, and as I hadn't climbed Evans yet I wanted to check it out prior. I had just gained the ridge/summit area of Spalding. It was still prior to sunrise, yet visible light had begun and I could differentiate colors. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a light brown colored, muscular animal pass between two boulders. It was the correct size for a lion, and certainly nothing else really fits the bill. I didn't see him run off, so it was a tense 10-15 minutes or so as I made as wide an arc around the area as possible, realizing I was wondering in prime hunting time for him. Although I never saw the face or eyes, I was pretty certain I was correct it was a lion. I didn't bother throwing that info on here, as I could see it being beat up pretty quickly...and for numerous good reasons - I was tired, and could have been seeing things. The lion would most likely never venture up to 13,500', etc.

This brings us to today, the 11th, where I took my friends up Evans via the same route. We were about to reach the crest of Spalding when they asked where I had seen the lion. I told them that it was just up a few hundred more yards. Sure enough, thanks to the remnants of some fresh snow, low and behold we find lion tracks, at 13,500. I would say we saw about a dozen separate tracks (probably all the same lion though), that left Spalding and descended towards the Evans/Spalding saddle. We lost any sign of viable tracks about half way between the two, prior to the sawtooth intersection. So keep an eye out if your up there!

-Chris
jdorje
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mountain lion on Spalding, possibly Evans

Post by jdorje »

Pretty sure those are canine. The Books/Internets always tell you that if you can mark an X across the foot that they are canine, not feline. And 2-2.5 inches would be real small for a mountain lion (I think).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
cpb145
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

They measured at 7.5cm, so that should be right about 3", which is correct. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert though...The "x" trick is interesting, although looking at the tracks pic I attached, I could make an "x" easier on the lion track than the dog one...so I dunno...

-Chris
jdorje
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

If those poles are like mine, those are half-centimeter markings (and confusing as hell).

Which also makes my math way off. Where the hell did I get 2-2.5 inches? By my reading it's ~4 centimeters or 1.5 inches. Of course they're your poles so easily confirmed.

Or am I completely wrong about my poles? Maybe they are full centimeters and I've been misreading this whole time. I feel like it's too late at night for this conversation; I'll check in the morning. Sorry for the distraction. I'm pretty sure about the X thing though.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Dog track. You can see in the shape the claws. Cat claws are retracted. They only use them when taking prey, climbing and such and may be seen in snow if needed. I've seen dog tracks 3+ inches across. I've seen cat tracks 4+ inches across at work. You'll know a cat track when you see it. Then the hair will stand up on your neck.
Infidel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Infidel »

Yes, dog. Or maybe a small wolf. Not even close to a cat track.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Obviously chupacabra.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Canine. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

Those would be a canine track, claws are extended as well as the lower lobe gives it away. Bet you were looking over your shoulder the rest of the way though :-)
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Anyone mention that those may be canine?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

ThuChad wrote:Obviously chupacabra.
This.

There is NO doubt.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Anyone mention that those may be canine?
That's a good point. Those might actually be from a dog.