Grays & Torreys Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HarkNeal
14ers: 4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Grays & Torreys Conditions

Post by HarkNeal »

Mornin' all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I know the upslope from the "September Blizzard of 2014" was pretty shallow. Anybody know how the standard approach to Grays & Torreys is? I don't have the gear to do anything remotely resembling a winter ascent so if there's more than a few inches of snow on the trail I've gotta call the trip off.

Thanks in advance,
Neal
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grays & Torreys Conditions

Post by mtree »

The sun is shining. Doubt there's any snow/ice to worry about on the standard route.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
HarkNeal
14ers: 4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HarkNeal »

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Check out the last condition report on Torreys, dated 9/10:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=3771
There was a light dusting of snow on portions of the route until about 13,350 ft where the snow became about 1-2 ft deep (all on the north side of the ridge).
The report is for Kelso Ridge, not the standard route. But if there's really "1-2 ft" of snow at the Knife Edge, you'll probably see at least a dusting of snow on the standard route. But I'm just guessing though.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

G&T appeared bone dry from the west. Seemed all the snow was melted or blown off. You'll be fine.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I just previewed conditions from i-70 today grays is dry. Torreys appeared to have some snow sticking around above 13000 but from my view would have very little to no impact on standard route.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I took this photo of Grays and Torreys from Mt. Parnassus today (9/14). You can see the standard rout up Grays in the photo: the white line zigzagging up the slope.

"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
ebrowning
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ebrowning »

Anyone have any information about Kelso ridge as of September 15th? Thinking about doing this in the morning, but not if there is significant snow on the route. Thank you.
eyost11
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eyost11 »

Negligible snow on trail above 13,000'. Knife edge bone dry as of Sept. 14 morning. Made summit in trail runners with no problems.
merrion13
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 71 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by merrion13 »

Does anybody have an update on the Kelso ridge? Looking to head up there Saturday morning.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

merrion13 wrote:Does anybody have an update on the Kelso ridge? Looking to head up there Saturday morning.
Just went up there today with a friend, and the conditions are perfect summer conditions still (although I really enjoyed doing the route with snow on it years ago). There is maybe one small snow patch I can remember on the north side of the ridge but it is completely avoidable. Enjoy!
dj14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dj14 »

merrion13 wrote:Does anybody have an update on the Kelso ridge? Looking to head up there Saturday morning.
I was just there today. I came up from Grays but sat on top of Torreys and watched a few people come up Kelso. They are said that conditions were good. One mentioned a little snow but said that it was not an issue. The standard route was snow free.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood. At best, he knows the triumph of high achievement; if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt.