How to read weather report..

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Krueger
Trip Reports (0)

How to read weather report..

Post by Krueger »

Ok, so I am climbing my first fourteener with my dad tomorrow and am trying to get a feel for the weather on Quandary tomorrow (09/13). I clicked on weather, then Quandary but it pulls up something that says "Severe Weather" in Red then "Denver / Boulder" and also below that "4 Miles ENE Kokomo, CO 13,678". Is this another way of saying the base or top(?) of Quandary Mountain or is this somewhere else?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: How to read weather report..

Post by rijaca »

The forecast you are reading is for 4 Miles ENE of Kokomo, CO at 13,678' or near the top of Quandary Peak.

The currrent conditions that you are looking at is for Copper Mountain.

The hazardous weather forecast (in red) is for any area within the forecast office area (in this case the Denver/Boulder office).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Don't feel bad, I can't make sense of that forecast either.
I usually just check the weather of nearby towns around the mountain area I am visiting.
I checked Breck and Como for tomorrow and extrapolated that data for Quandary.
Below freezing at the trailhead for a sunrise start.
Should not warm up all that much, maybe 40 at a before noon summit.
Mostly sunny day with lots of cold wind.
Little chance of stormy weather.
But always keep vigilant lookout for changing skies.
Stay Warm. Good Luck. Have Fun.
Pat
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Scroll on down that weather page you've navigated to for Quandary and click the Hourly Weather Graph. Then read the graph for the time you intend to hike and remember the forecast is for the elevation indicated at the top of the page, usually within 1,000' vertical or so of the peak you select.

You can also hop over to http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/3500. This page will let you select forecasts for the trailhead or summit. You may get slightly different answers from the two forecasts (NOAA vs. mountain-forecast). I usually pick the rosier of the two since I'm a glass is half full kind of guy and normally trying to convince my wife it won't be too cold/rainy/windy.

Quandary tomorrow, I'd plan for mid-40s at the TH, light wind; mid-30s nearing the summit with moderate wind, maybe some gusts a little stronger than moderate. Sunny and dry though. All in all, sounds like a solid forecast. Just bring layers and keep the wind at bay. Have fun.
bf31415
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bf31415 »

Planning to do Quandry tomorrow (Sat 9/13) as well. Looks like weather will be a non-factor.

Don't forget to plan for Breck's Ocktoberfest celebration that is taking place this weekend... :-)
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Dex wrote:Were you reading this?

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.p ... 106.106430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

PATCHY FROST IS EXPECTED TONIGHT IN RIVER VALLEYS AND LOW SPOTS
ACROSS THE NORTHEASTERN PLAINS OF COLORADO. LOWS ARE LIKELY TO BE
IN THE LOW TO MID 30S IN THIS AREAS WITH UPPER 30S IN THE DENVER-
BOULDER AREA.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY

AFTER A DRY AND WARMER DAY SATURDAY...ISOLATED SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS WILL RETURN TO THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY WHILE
TEMPERATURES RETURN BACK TO OR ABOVE AVERAGE FOR THIS TIME OF
YEAR. ANOTHER COLD FRONT MONDAY MORNING WILL BRING A SLIGHT CHANCE
OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA WITH
COOLER AIR. TUESDAY WILL RETURN TO THE WARMER AND DRIER WEATHER
PATTERN.

I tried but couldnt. It is all in CAPS. Couldn't get past all the RAGE.