Gear Thievery at Snowmass Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BaristaLady
Trip Reports (0)

Gear Thievery at Snowmass Lake

Post by BaristaLady »

Hi All,
I've been warned not to leave my camp set up at Snowmass Lake
because thievery of gear has occurred. Anybody know of this happening?
Thanks
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Gear Thievery at Snowmass Lake

Post by nyker »

I've camped there on two separate holiday weekend occasions and we were fine having nothing taken.

With that said, you can have stuff stolen anywhere, so bring any real valuables with you on your climb.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Good grief. Anyone who steals in the backcountry, where the loss of vital gear can be life threatening, should be drawn and quartered, IMO.
please rotate your device
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Though I am no expert, I did live in the Aspen area awhile and never heard of this at Snowmass Lake. As mentioned elsewhere, a tiny padlock (or combo-lock), on your tent door provides some security. The farther I go into the wilderness the less likely I am to bring the lock.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Maybe by a marmot, above treeline.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

justiner wrote:Maybe by a marmot, above treeline.
Very possible. I mentioned this in another thread, but about a week ago some animal took one sandal from a pair I had left outside my car in the San Juans.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
NatureGuy
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NatureGuy »

No way! I had an animal steal a sandal outside my tent in the Chicago Basin. Maybe it just wanted another to complete the pair...
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

NatureGuy wrote:No way! I had an animal steal a sandal outside my tent in the Chicago Basin. Maybe it just wanted another to complete the pair...
Gray Columbia sandal, it look the left one.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

TravelingMatt wrote:
NatureGuy wrote:No way! I had an animal steal a sandal outside my tent in the Chicago Basin. Maybe it just wanted another to complete the pair...
Gray Columbia sandal, it look the left one.
That's totally uncool! If I ever see a squirrel struting around in a pair of sandals, I'll be sure to beat him/her up and get your guys your sandals back.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Well, I'm sorry to report, that's one tough squirrel. Not only I didn't get your sandals back, he actually beat me up and took my favorite hat!

"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign