Wetterhorn Peak Video

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Red Eagle
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (1)

Wetterhorn Peak Video

Post by Red Eagle »

I have been asked about conditions on Wetterhorn Peak in this transitional season of hiking. My hiking partner and I hiked Wetterhorn on Sept 7th and the weather was fine (except the hailstorm around noon on the way down) I was surprised how quickly the summit was gained once at the Prow; I thought that last part would take longer but we seemingly flew up it. Here is a short video that shows some of the final terrain prior to the summit. IMHO the Slab section would be the most cruxy in poor weather. [youtubevideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yofTV_ ... e=youtu.be[/youtubevideo]
"Confidence comes not from always being right,
but from not fearing to be wrong."
Red Eagle
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wetterhorn Peak Video

Post by Red Eagle »

Well maybe here is the video link, looks like it didn't imbed in original posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yofTV_ZIyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Red Eagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Eagle
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Red Eagle »

and how the down-climb looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_UW3xSWX9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtubevideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_UW3xSWX9E[/youtubevideo]
Last edited by Red Eagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

](*,)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Red Eagle wrote:Well maybe here is the video link, looks like it didn't imbed in original posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yofTV_ ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video is Private, we cannot see it.
Red Eagle
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Red Eagle »

Ok fingers crossed this will work lest I get flamed.
I guess I didn't know how to put in a public link his should work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yofTV_ZIyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the downclimb off the top of the peak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_UW3xSWX9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

That summit ridge/block looks like a lot of fun. I think the video makes it look steeper than it is. Definitely want to do that, Sneffels, and Uncompahgre someday.
please rotate your device
NickJ
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NickJ »

Yes, that video definitely makes it look steeper than it is. Watching the video of the down climb gave me vertigo.
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

NickJ wrote:Yes, that video definitely makes it look steeper than it is. Watching the video of the down climb gave me vertigo.
I cannot imagine that it's anymore challenging than the Homestretch, which I found pretty mild (when dry).
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

The video might make it look steeper than it is, but it is definitely steeper than the Homestretch. Challenging is relative. You can walk down the Homestretch if you're comfortable with the high angle while the Wetterhorn requires hands. I'm not saying it's hard or anything, but of all the ones I've done so far and the routes I've taken up them, it was the most climbing I recall doing.
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

acidchylde wrote:The video might make it look steeper than it is, but it is definitely steeper than the Homestretch. Challenging is relative. You can walk down the Homestretch if you're comfortable with the high angle while the Wetterhorn requires hands. I'm not saying it's hard or anything, but of all the ones I've done so far and the routes I've taken up them, it was the most climbing I recall doing.
No kidding. How exposed is it?
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I climbed Wetterhorn in July, and I'm amazed to watch this. I have absolutely no memory of walking down that ledge and how exposed it is to the left. All I remember is, poking through the notch, and noticing that two of my partners were already 20 feet up the "staircase". I can recall eyeing up the staircase as I walked the ledge, and assessing that it was dry, didn't appear too incredibly steep to me, and looked like something I would have no trouble getting up and down. I suppose the fact that I was immediately looking up to the staircase would explain why I don't remember looking at the dropoff in the other direction. But it still feels strange to witness it in video. Thanks for sharing.