Wideshot of K2 on Capitol Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Wideshot of K2 on Capitol Route

Post by AnnaG22 »

This is to anyone planning to climb Capitol this fall or winter, or that has climbed Capitol this year. I am looking for a wideshot photo of K2 that includes the technical ridge, the traverse, and the gully (on the north, ascending from the class 2 talus). So ideally something that was taken from or behind that large cairn on the ridge (where people often take a break before tackling K2).

Please PM me if you have anything resembling this.

I already looked through all the trip reports on this site which claimed to describe K2 in addition to Capitol.
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Wideshot of K2 on Capitol Route

Post by AnnaG22 »

also a zoomed-perspective of K2 from Capitol Lake would work. both would be even better
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Perhaps if you explain why you need this, you might get a more favorable response. Most photographers are leary about giving their photos away.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Have you checked out Dawson's guide for this area? He has some interesting ideas for ascent of Capitol in winter conditions, including some technical climbing topos - many of the technical routes described were done in winter conditions, to avoid rockfall danger.

I'm a little confused over the gully you're talking about, but there is one called Wandering Dutchman, but that would only give you access to the Pierre Lakes Basin - one wonders what sort of access that would grant in the wintertime. Oy. Avy danger, all around.

Check out some of the reports from Kiefer - or maybe ask him? He's done some pretty interesting routes on Cap.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/a-capitol-winter/594147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/climbing-the-unknown/801901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

She wants a picture, a side view, (or above) of the area where the accident last Sunday happened. For future route safety, and also to clarify some things in her memory. Just to the right of the E face of K2, there's a big drop-off/gully. This area is what she is looking for.

She was with the climber when the rocks on the E/NE area of K2 gave way on his descent.
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

I would post one of the photos I have, but I don't know how on these forums. trying to get a spatial idea of what happened in addition to an idea of how much heavy-wasting occurred during the accident and how it affected the route. that said, I doubt I'll go beyond the class 2 on Capitol ever again. K2 won't exist in a few decades.

I know this is a very odd request for photos. If anyone humors me I would be deeply grateful.

justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

bdloftin77 wrote:She wants a picture, a side view, (or above) of the area where the accident last Sunday happened. For future route safety, and also to clarify some things in her memory. Just to the right of the E face of K2, there's a big drop-off/gully. This area is what she is looking for.

She was with the climber when the rocks on the E/NE area of K2 gave way on his descent.

Oh! Well, why not just say that? It sounded like they were looking to climb Capitol this Winter. sorry for the misunderstanding.
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

My brain has been a bit fuzzy this week. wasn't sure how to ask. here is a Google earth pic I've been able to work with...ideally I'm looking for something a bit closer (but further away than what I've found in the trip reports archives)
Attachments
k2 capitol google earth edited1 small.JPG
k2 capitol google earth edited1 small.JPG (182.64 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Last edited by AnnaG22 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Tory Wells wrote:Perhaps if you explain why you need this, you might get a more favorable response. Most photographers are leary about giving their photos away.
I agree. . . if the photographer happens to be Ansel Adams.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

CorduroyCalves wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Perhaps if you explain why you need this, you might get a more favorable response. Most photographers are leary about giving their photos away.
I agree. . . if the photographer happens to be Ansel Adams.
Yeah, most photographers are fine with giving away photos like what she requested. Its not like she's wanting to frame it or use it for commercial purposes....
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I, too, have found that photographers are, let's just say, very "frugal" people.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

AnnaG22 wrote:K2 won't exist in a few decades.
Seriously?

Geologic time disagrees. And, I would say that K2 has been mostly the same for the better part of a few hundred years, give or take. Huge geologic/weather events happen all the time in Colorado and for the most part routes are unaffected. Take a look at Broken Hand Pass on Crestone Needle/Peak for example. Huge mudslide/flood in 2011. Route is almost un-touched.

Not sure what your motive is anyways. I have a few shots you described from my climb of K2/Capitol in 2010. I am confident the mountain looks nearly the same today.

Good luck. Really am curious though.

Edit:

I just read the other thread and now I understand the inquiry. Makes sense. I don't think K2 is going anywhere though. The Elks are full of loose rock. Many, many accidents over the past 60 years can show for that. :\ Moisture creates loose soil and lots of human traffic puts stress on that soil. I'm surprised there are not more accidents, to be quite honest. I hope Justin recovers fully!