Expanded 14ers Statistics

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Expanded 14ers Statistics

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

doggler wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote: I can see 500k+; that's roughly three laps of the 14ers, which is doable in one summer.
500k is quite doable. I managed 400K in 2013 and was on track for this year, and I have a full time job.
Yup. I consider myself a lower-mileage type of ultra runner, and had strung together 4 consecutive 300-500k years. Meaning there are a decent amount of guys out there getting 500k to a million in a year.
K I'm Roped.

This is the first year I tracked my vert. Breaking 500 is not super easy but indeed doable. Easily pull 40+ hour weeks and Bus it between Boulder and Denver EVERYDAY...I think I can safely say to crack 500 you need to basically live and breathe vert on the weekends and during the week get as much as possible.

Without a job, a ton of vert is really just a test of how much your body can handle if you truly enjoy the hills.

I'm Not Jealous
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:This is the first year I tracked my vert.
I totally get more vert than you just with pull-ups, bra.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

500,000 would not be that hard, its 100 days at an average of 5,000 vertical. Given 52 weeks in a year and holidays, one can certainly get in 100 days a full time job w/o much trouble, provided one climbs pretty much every weekend. I think 5k average per outing is pretty typical for people climbing alpine peaks given trailheads in the 9-10k range and ridge runs combining multiple peaks. Sure there may be a few days more like 3k, but there are also those that are over 7k, so it would probably average out.

My "problem" (in quotes on purpose because its not really a problem :wink:) is that I spend too much time resort skiing in winter to ever get 100 hiking days. I probably get about 35 days resort skiing and about 50-60 hiking, so I end up more in the 250-300k range.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

This thread has totally made me want to break a million feet of running/cycling for the year. Only 171,348 feet to go!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Chicago Transplant wrote:500,000 would not be that hard, its 100 days at an average of 5,000 vertical. Given 52 weeks in a year and holidays, one can certainly get in 100 days a full time job w/o much trouble, provided one climbs pretty much every weekend. I think 5k average per outing is pretty typical for people climbing alpine peaks given trailheads in the 9-10k range and ridge runs combining multiple peaks. Sure there may be a few days more like 3k, but there are also those that are over 7k, so it would probably average out.
My average vertical per outing this summer was exactly 4000'. That's 33 outings bagging some 85 ranked 13ers and one 14er. I had six outings of 5000'+ and a few more I clocked at 48-4900 which may be within the margin of error. So yeah, it's well within the range of "someone more badass than me can pull it off".
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake