Expanded 14ers Statistics

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Expanded 14ers Statistics

Post by adamjm »

Work is dreadfully slow this morning, so I got bored and decided to pull some numbers from personal peak lists. As far as I know this hasn't been posted before - I did a search and could only find something from 2010, but it didn't have what I'm posting below. (On a side note, one of the questions raised in that thread was % Favorite 14er among the 58 list finishers only. If things don't pick up here in cubicleland, I might just do that too.)

I basically set out to show two things: 1) Distribution of how many peaks users have climbed, and 2) What percentage of 14ers.com users (who have a personal peak checklist with at least 1 peak summitted) have summitted at least X number of peaks. Right. Hope that makes sense.
Stats - Climbers.jpg
Stats - Climbers.jpg (62.46 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Stats - %.jpg
Stats - %.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Stats - Climbed.jpg
Stats - Climbed.jpg (11.35 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Questions? Comments? Math wrong? Hate it? I've still got the numbers up so if you want to see anything else let me know.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Expanded 14ers Statistics

Post by Tornadoman »

Interesting stuff! I for one would be very interested in seeing the Favorite 14er among the finishers! Also, I wonder how many of the people with 57 peaks are in the "All but Culebra" camp.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Are you aware that this site already has some of this info......http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

It's cool to see that there is such a sharp spike in the number of climbers once you get out to 58 (although not surprising since that is the goal for many). Does seem like there should be an uptick in the graph for the % who've climbed X number of peaks too though.
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

It's interesting how the graph sort of levels out in the higher numbers and then the tall bar at 58. Does this mean that after a certain point a lot of people realize they are going for them all? I know for me it was at about half way I realized I was going for it. On the flip side there are always going to be a lot of people who are still working on their first couple dozen fourteeners and haven't made that transition yet. There are exceptions, MountainHikerette moved here intending to climb them all.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

rijaca wrote:Are you aware that this site already has some of this info......http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php?

I am, but it doesn't have what I started this thread with.
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Tornadoman wrote: Also, I wonder how many of the people with 57 peaks are in the "All but Culebra" camp.
Peaks that the "57ers" have left:
Stats - 57 finishers.jpg
Stats - 57 finishers.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Stats - 57 finishers range.jpg
Stats - 57 finishers range.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Editorial time - Worst one to have to finish on: Cameron. Best? Handies? Sneffels? Longs?
Also, funny that the Elk range ranks #2 in terms of where people have to go to finish off, but almost all of it is Conundrum. I'm assuming some people just didnt mark it off the list but did it anyway.
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Tornadoman wrote:Interesting stuff! I for one would be very interested in seeing the Favorite 14er among the finishers!
Stats - 58ers favorite.jpg
Stats - 58ers favorite.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Not mentioned once at all: Any of the 4 Decalibron peaks

Left off the list of popular 14ers (Bill's List http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;): Huron, Holy Cross, Quandary, Uncompahgre, and Elbert.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

I am guessing that the people who haven't climbed North Eolus or Conundrum still consider themselves to have "finished the 14ers". Same thing goes for Cameron further down the list.

I am also pretty sure that those who haven't climbed Culebra would say they have "finished the 14ers" as well, and are just philosophically opposed to paying $100 to climb a mountain.

Some of the others high on the list, such as Capitol, Little Bear, Mount Wilson, etc., reflect the technical nature/danger of the mountains themselves. (Personally I haven't climbed any of the three, and any of them could easily end up being my "finisher" someday, God willing.

If I had thought ahead, like a few people obviously did, I would have saved Pike's Peak for last. Then I could have celebrated on the summit with my non-climbing family and friends with a round of chicken sandwiches (oh, wait, maybe not....)

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
Last edited by Sean Nunn on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Zambo
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 160 10 9
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Zambo »

I think these extra stats are sweet. I've always been a bit of a data geek - I love looking at these types of numbers.

Some other stats I've always been curious about (not saying you can/should compile these, I just think they'd be interesting to know, even if we will never be able to.)

-Favorite Range
-Favorite Range by finishers
-Least favorite peak
-Basically all Bill's existing stats, but for the 13er lists
-58'th peak done (aka: what did people choose to finish on?)
-Deaths per 14er (I know this is a bit morbid, but still useful info IMO. Also I know some of this is out there, but it's not really neatly compiled anywhere I know about)
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

MountainHiker wrote:It's interesting how the graph sort of levels out in the higher numbers and then the tall bar at 58. Does this mean that after a certain point a lot of people realize they are going for them all?
It's a result of elapsed time. Because the list does not exceed 58, the spike at 58 comes from the accumulated number of finishers over the life of the site.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Not mentioned once at all: Any of the 4 Decalibron peaks

For some reason I am not surprised! :lol:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.