Expanded 14ers Statistics

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Expanded 14ers Statistics

Post by SpringsHiker »

Jim Davies wrote:Conundrum should count for the same reason North Maroon and El Diente do - because it's visually distinct, visible from commonly-visited vantage points, and officially named. It's hard to figure why North Eolus is named, since it's so remote, but at least it's separated from its parent and has a distinct summit.
And, using your logic, it is interesting to note that North Massive is not named but arguably has more prominence and distinction (especially given distance from Massive) than Conundrum, North Eolus, and especially Cameron.

I know, I know, another old point, but gotta drag every dog into this discussion...
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

ameristrat wrote:Well, let's refer to these correctly. They aren't peoples' least favorite 14ers, they are the fourteeners which the fewest people have called their "favorite" on this site, correct?

I would never conside putting N Eolus as my favorite peak, but I really enjoyed it! I assume many people feel this way about many of those mountains listed.
I was hoping putting "least favorite" in quotes would somewhat explain this but I see how its misleading.

You're (and jenkscolin) correct. It is a list of least favorited, or least likely to be a 14ers.com user's listed favorite peak. So, taking into account that (according to Bill) only 11% of people on this site have climbed it, its obviously not going to have a whole lot of love for favorite peak.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yeah, but North Massive isn't really visually distinct. Massive has several other ridgepoints, but they all look like part of the same gigantic mountain. South Elbert is arguably more distinct, but not very visible from any highways so doesn't get noticed much. You're right, an old tired topic...

I listed Torreys as my favorite. I'm glad to see I'm not the only finisher to do so. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I started off with the Borneman & Lampert guidebook. So when I was completing the fourteeners I was going with the CMC 54 + Challenger. To this day the running total in my climbing log is based on the 55 list. Even though Borenman & Lampert poo pooed Challenger I felt I should get it anyway. That way I had all the 300' peaks plus the 2 traditional fourteeners. If 14ers.com had been around in those days I would have been able to check 58 on completing because I got those extra three along the way. I can understand people rationalizing not making the extra trip over to Conundrum, but N Eolus is such a short side trip I consider it an error not to stand on it coming or going. I don't get too concerned about a peak being "ranked" or not. I go to the top because I want to!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

bergsteigen wrote:
justiner wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Not many people are going to get more than that. Not humans, anyway.
Except bergsteigen! He's got 93 days to hit 2 million feet! :)

Oh, to have that as my job.
She's just happy to be walking post surgery ;)
Oh, is that egg on my face? ;) Good luck, hope to see you up and about!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I picked up a current official (Colorado Tourism Board, part of CDOT) Colorado highway map yesterday. It has a table with a list of 14ers.
It includes the same 58 as the 14ers.com list. Today, I was going through my old maps to recycle the out of date ones. My Colorado highway
map from 2 years ago also has a 14ers list, but it only has 54 peaks (the same 54 as the CMC list).

It would be interesting to know how the state decided which list to use.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I picked up a current official (Colorado Tourism Board, part of CDOT) Colorado highway map yesterday. It has a table with a list of 14ers.
It includes the same 58 as the 14ers.com list. Today, I was going through my old maps to recycle the out of date ones. My Colorado highway
map from 2 years ago also has a 14ers list, but it only has 54 peaks (the same 54 as the CMC list).

It would be interesting to know how the state decided which list to use.
The one that promotes the most tourism. :wink: More is better I guess.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

DaveLanders wrote:It would be interesting to know how the state decided which list to use.
They used to only list 50: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Well it took me all day but the latest stat is pretty clear. As thread length -> infinity, odds that the topic becomes about "How many 14ers are there?" are 100%

I guess its better than hot tubs.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

adamjm wrote:As thread length -> infinity, odds that the topic becomes about "How many 14ers are there?" are 100%
Adolf Hitler's favorite 14er was North Maroon
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
adamjm
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

TravelingMatt wrote:
adamjm wrote:As thread length -> infinity, odds that the topic becomes about "How many 14ers are there?" are 100%
Adolf Hitler's favorite 14er was North Maroon
Yep, the odds have reached 1.

I dunno, he seems more like a Bierstadt kinda guy.