Own a piece of Mt Bross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Own a piece of Mt Bross

Post by tlongpine »

I inquired with the seller about on-site construction.

Q: "Is building and construction permitted on this site?"
A: "Hi Tyler, Thanks for your interest. You would need to speak to the Town of Alma for this question. Thanks, ---- ----."

This seems like a question a man in his role should be prepared to answer. Does that answer strike anyone else as unusually coy?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yes
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

The town of Alma doesn't prohibit construction, per se. The Board of Trustees (City Council) has to approve it though. 18-10-90(c) provides the most problematic clause (in red).
Sec. 18-10-20. Building permit required.

(a) A building permit shall be required for any new construction or change of the use on vacant land within the Town.
18-13
(b) It shall be unlawful to erect, construct, reconstruct, structurally alter or change the use of any building or other structure without first obtaining an approved building permit from the Board of Trustees.
(c) It shall be unlawful to change the use of any vacant land, except for agricultural purposes, without first obtaining a special use permit from the Board of Trustees (see Section 18-10-90 of this Article). (Ord. 1981-1 §1; Ord. 2011-18 §1)

Sec. 18-10-90. Special use permit.

(c) Approval for all special use permits must be made by a majority vote of the Board of Trustees. Consideration for noise, pollution, compatibility with surrounding uses and the health, safety and welfare of the general public shall be given to the application.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

It would seem pretty likely the seller has been through this issue before. At some point they may have to accept a contract contingent upon approval of the buyer's intended use. Or maybe they already know that Alma is tough to deal with - and they are now just trolling for a gullible buyer.
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Tortoise1 wrote:It would seem pretty likely the seller has been through this issue before. At some point they may have to accept a contract contingent upon approval of the buyer's intended use. Or maybe they already know that Alma is tough to deal with - and they are now just trolling for a gullible buyer.
I suspect this is the case - sounds like the owner is stuck at an impasse w/ the Town.
Q: "That's an oddly cryptic response. Should I read it as you don't know, or you won't say?"
A: "Hi Tyler,
This is a complicated question and it would be unethical for me to just say yes.

The town will give you a hard time about a septic system, but it could be countered with an incinerary toilet. The resistance will be stiff, but I have had no official word when I ask the question to the town.

You could have a micro home or trailer on wheels where it is temporary in nature and not permanent and this does not fall under zoning for building.

Regards,
---- ----"
Fixed: "This is a difficult question and it would be disadvantageous for me to just say no."

In short, buyer beware. If the buyer wants to build, the most responsible contract would involve an escrow holding deliverable upon approval of the special permit.

adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

tlongpine wrote:
In short, buyer beware. If the buyer wants to build, the most responsible contract would involve an escrow holding deliverable upon approval of the special permit.
That would be responsible, and I bet unacceptable terms for the seller.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

tlongpine wrote:The town of Alma doesn't prohibit construction, per se. The Board of Trustees (City Council) has to approve it though. 18-10-90(c) provides the most problematic clause (in red).
Sec. 18-10-20. Building permit required.

(a) A building permit shall be required for any new construction or change of the use on vacant land within the Town.
18-13
(b) It shall be unlawful to erect, construct, reconstruct, structurally alter or change the use of any building or other structure without first obtaining an approved building permit from the Board of Trustees.
(c) It shall be unlawful to change the use of any vacant land, except for agricultural purposes, without first obtaining a special use permit from the Board of Trustees (see Section 18-10-90 of this Article). (Ord. 1981-1 §1; Ord. 2011-18 §1)

Sec. 18-10-90. Special use permit.

(c) Approval for all special use permits must be made by a majority vote of the Board of Trustees. Consideration for noise, pollution, compatibility with surrounding uses and the health, safety and welfare of the general public shall be given to the application.
Is Alma such a desirable community that people are willing to jump through hoops to develop there? I thought the only thing Alma excelled at was collecting speeding tickets.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

I don't think anyone has posted this yet.
http://denver.craigslist.org/reo/4635408173.html

For what it's worth:
Craigslist seller wrote:You cannot build a house on this property.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

BenfromtheEast wrote:I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

For what it's worth:
Ah, that's where I'd seen it (and what I remembered about it). Thanks!
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

adamjm wrote:
tlongpine wrote:
That would be responsible, and I bet unacceptable terms for the seller.
Ha - I would imagine so. Sounds like this has been on the market for years, so he's going to have to bend at some point.

tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

BenfromtheEast wrote:I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

For what it's worth:
From the same Craigslist posting: "The opportunities are endless that range from potential Silver Prospecting, Solar/Wind Farm, Part of the Colorado Hut System/Hostel, Private/Extreme Skiing, Nature Private Reserve, Recreational Site, etc."

Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

^^ They forgot "14ers.com winter gathering base camp" :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day