10/4-10/9

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dallas23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 10/4-10/9

Post by dallas23 »

My wife and I are going to be there at the same time.We are planning on doing Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat combo as well as Sherman on Monday and Tuesday, any one have advice/conditions for those? Then we may go to Torreys on Thursday. We have hiked Bierstadt, Evans and Grays and y'all should have no problems as long as the weather allows it. We could of easily done Torrys the same day as Grays but the wind was brutal and was coming right over Torrys the day we did it. Good luck and I hope the weather is good for all of us! If yall want to join me and the wife yall just let us know.
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pops921 »

We got quite a bit of snow here in the Northern Sawatch area, I suspect those peaks did as well. We only got a couple of inches at my house at 8,100' on Thursday night. While we were getting a cold rain during the day, the peaks were getting dumped on. I suspect well over a foot of snow at elevation above 11,000'. Weather forecast is for clear and cold. Mountain Weather is forecasting high winds, freeze/thaw conditions (look out for ice). The road to Grays can be challenging for low clearance vehicles. Bring you mico-spikes or crampons, poles, gaiters, extra gloves etc... I would bring my ice axe, but it is probably not necessary.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/4350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
sean bennett
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sean bennett »

dallas23 wrote:My wife and I are going to be there at the same time.We are planning on doing Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat combo as well as Sherman on Monday and Tuesday, any one have advice/conditions for those? Then we may go to Torreys on Thursday. We have hiked Bierstadt, Evans and Grays and y'all should have no problems as long as the weather allows it. We could of easily done Torrys the same day as Grays but the wind was brutal and was coming right over Torrys the day we did it. Good luck and I hope the weather is good for all of us! If yall want to join me and the wife yall just let us know.
Hey There, we actually met you guys on Quandary. We met right in the midst of the goat blockade.

We ended up doing the Echo Lake to Summit Lake hike on Sunday, Bierstadt on Monday, Torreys and Grays on Tuesday and Quandary on Wednesday. Great weather the whole time. Camped at Chicago Creek the whole time, had it mostly to ourselves except for a couple of one night campers and a bear just a little larger than a school bus.