Uncompahgre Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Uncompahgre Conditions?

Post by bdloftin77 »

Adding another conditions topic to the current barrage, I was wondering if anyone has beta on the conditions of Uncompahgre. The most recent conditions report is from Sept 11 I believe. I was considering going down and hiking this Saturday (10/4) if there wasn't a lot of snow. (haven't done any 14er snow hikes before)

Thanks!
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Uncompahgre Conditions?

Post by LadyClimber »

I'm assuming you saw this thread http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... 05#p549805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would plan on there being a least a foot of snow if not 2+ on the peaks.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I did, thanks. It's weird, because the NOAA site only says a few inches of snow in that area.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &js=1&uc=0

But maybe it's completely wrong? It only says a few inches of snow on Sneffels, but on the 30th, the guy posted about there being a couple feet at least. So it's all just confusing. On the 14ers.com fb page, people were saying that snow might melt at the rate of 6 inches in under 48 hours, with the next few days being very sunny? I'm just having a hard time finding good, current beta.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Be the beta!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LadyClimber »

Well the mountains I can see from Durango are still coated in snow. I'm sure some of it will melt during the day, but I'd be surprised if all of it would. I'm planning on heading up to Sneffles Saturday, so I'll be sure to post a conditions report!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

bdloftin77 wrote:I did, thanks. It's weird, because the NOAA site only says a few inches of snow in that area.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &js=1&uc=0

But maybe it's completely wrong? It only says a few inches of snow on Sneffels, but on the 30th, the guy posted about there being a couple feet at least. So it's all just confusing. On the 14ers.com fb page, people were saying that snow might melt at the rate of 6 inches in under 48 hours, with the next few days being very sunny? I'm just having a hard time finding good, current beta.
Snow gets distributed very quickly. What might be an average of 1-2 inches over a huge area quickly gets redistributed into much deeper quantities in the "favored" leeward locations.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks for the info, SkaredShtles. That makes much more sense.

Ryan Knapp, who attempted Sneffels today, said that Sneffels and everything in the area was completely snow covered. Several feet of snow, with a lot of post-holing he said.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Snow level is around 11,000. My guess is around 3-4" on the SW route up Unc. However, I haven't been on the route -- just observed Unc and surrounding areas this afternoon. SJ Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir