castle/conundrum conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gunnison_garrett14
14ers: 58  13  5 
13ers: 124 8 2
Trip Reports (1)

castle/conundrum conditions

Post by gunnison_garrett14 »

Hoping to camp at conundrum hot springs this weekend and attempt castle and conundrum. Has anyone been up there recently? I've seen snow covered peaks up towards Crested Butte the past couple days. Never been there and would just like some general tips if you have them, thanks!
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: castle/conundrum conditions

Post by jrs1965 »

I'm planning on car camping from the Aspen/Castle Creek side on Saturday and doing Castle & Conundrum on Sunday. Based off the current thread for Maroon Bells conditions I'm expecting to see some snow. Definitely bringing the micro-spikes. Weather has already cleared up so there should be some melt-off before I head up. Perhaps I'll see you on the summit/ridge if you're up there on Sunday...
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Shameless plug...
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ser=nkan02
I'd expect current conditions to be pretty similar to last year's. Getting to C/C from Conundrum Hot springs is going to be difficult with snow-covered ridges.
gunnison_garrett14
Trip Reports (1)

Thanks for the help guys! I planned on trying to summit on sunday as well, hope to see you up there!
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Agree it may be difficult. Which route are you planning from Conundrum Hot Springs? Sounds like there are at least 3 routes, all loose.

EDIT: I mean which route to summit?
Last edited by SoCool on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunnison_garrett14
Trip Reports (1)

I was hoping to take triangle pass from near Crested Butte to the hot springs