Mt Elbert conditions and TH advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
drizkol
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Elbert conditions and TH advice

Post by drizkol »

looking to summit Mt Elbert on Saturday (10/4) and was curious if anyone knew the conditions since the snow came through last night.

i'm also curious about what TH would make for a better hike. i drive a dodge ram 4wd so im not really concerned with the forest road.. so aside from that, what is the differences between those hikes?

thanks 14ers!
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mt Elbert conditions and TH advice

Post by shearmodulus »

I've done Elbert in winter by way of the East Ridge as well as the Southeast Ridge. Southeast Ridge is a much steeper hike, and I think the scenery is better. The trailhead is easy to access right off of the road for the SE Ridge route.

As for the East Ridge, the paved road is usually clear to a good parking area most of the winter. I've never driven the road past the paved area so I can't speak to how accessible it is, but once the snows set in, I'd bet that you won't be able to get past the paved area. I've seen areas on the road that look like someone got stuck and had an interesting time getting unstuck. Not fun in winter.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."