Crestone conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scootmanjones
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone conditions

Post by scootmanjones »

If anyone was up in the Crestones this weekend I would appreciate a conditions report on any of the peaks as well as the condition of road to the TH. I drove the road a few weeks ago so I know the general condition but was wondering if there was any snow/ice/water on it.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestone conditions

Post by ezabielski »

Here's a picture from Venable Peak north of the Crestone area from Saturday. You can see Kit Carson/Challenger in this picture (center left), and Crestone Needle/Peak are behind a 13er. It should give you an idea of the snow that's up there.

http://i.imgur.com/nF2BLUZ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Picture is too large to embed here)
coclimbguy79
14ers: 44  3 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestone conditions

Post by coclimbguy79 »

As of yesterday:

No snow to the 4wd trailhead, and none to contend with until above south colony lake on the trail up to Broken Hand Pass. Snow up to knee deep on the way up to the Pass.

Needle: Dry until you hit the east gully. Running water avoidable, snow patchy overall and avoidable up to the west gully turnoff, but filling the dihedral. The section up to the west gully notch is snow covered. Took the east gully up, snow filled area is much wider in the upper section of the gully. Snow is still avoidable if you head all the way to the end of the gully then cut left to the summit. The running water was more of a concern on the way down, but still not too bad.

Peak: no idea