Shavano/Tabeguache conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Shavano/Tabeguache conditions

Post by LoveThisSite »

Anyone have recent information on Shavano/Tabeguache? Particularly the traverse from Shavano to Tab. I'm tentatively planning to hike these peaks on Sat, Oct 18. The next few days of sunshine should help a bit, but I would think the snow above 13k would remain unaffected. Thanks!
jagiammaria
14ers: 26  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Shavano/Tabeguache conditions

Post by jagiammaria »

Hiked Shavano on Saturday. The snow started down in the trees and was close to knee deep at some points around the Angel. Up on the ridge it wasn't too deep in general, but you could find some deep parts in between rocks. I didn't do the traverse as one guy in my group was feeling the effects of altitude sickness. I did talk to some guys who tried it and they turned around because it was pretty slow going due to trying to find a trail and sinking into deep snow in between rocks. A storm also blew in and that factored into their decision to turn around. The sun and warm temps made the trail really sloppy on the way out until you got to below where the snow started.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

LoveThisSite wrote:I'm tentatively planning to hike these peaks on Sat, Oct 18.
I have the same tentative plans and would appreciate any conditions update as well. Short of in person updates, not sure if you've tried the NOAA snow depth and snow melt layers at ...
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curious to see if it changes through the week. I haven't looked into how often they update the data or how accurate the depths are, but it can make a pretty picture.
mcquentin
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mcquentin »

Hi Raj;

I am looking to climb these the following weekend with two folks from Colorado Springs. If you don't make it this weekend, you are welcome to climb with us next weekend... if everything looks good by then. Good luck.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

If you go, be on the lookout for this:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45081
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

Ah yes, the legendary fish on Tabeguache.. will definitely have to keep an eye out for them.
StarGirl
Trip Reports (1)

Post by StarGirl »

I was thinking about going Friday (17th). The weather looks better for Friday (sunny & warmer). If I go and make it I will post a summit pic on the FB page.

I had to turn around after summiting Shavano a month ago because of a storm that looked like it was going to hit and didn't want to risk it (good call...it did hit and with the rain and thunder, I worried about everyone who said they were going to chance the ridge over to tab). I've been having either scheduling or weather issues stop me on Tab all summer. I'm kind of mad at it, lol and if I wasn't moving out of the country I think normally I would just give up and leave it for next year.

I have been wanting to do Tab only via Jennings Creek, but with snow I am concerned about not being able to find or stay on route. So I guess I am stuck with Shav/Tab which I feel is a safer choice. I will hate to have to turn around if conditions warrant, but I would hate getting lost on a less traveled route even more.

Anyway, good luck to you all on Saturday.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

StarGirl, fahixson, LoveThisSite...any further updates on the Shavano-Tab route? Did any of you go this weekend? I am looking at Tuesday, the 21st for a possible trip. But, if it involves a lot of frustrating post-holing between rocks, maybe I'll wait a bit.
jbutler
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jbutler »

I went with Raj (LoveThisSite) on Saturday - we ended up doing Antero instead of Tab-Shav. The snow was never really deep enough to hide rocks and a lot of it had melted by noon. You'll be golden on Tuesday
Jhighamk
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jhighamk »

I did shav/tab Sunday. There really wasn't any postholing and for the most part you could rock hop to stay out of the snow.
jjarrard913
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjarrard913 »

Anyone know if it is still smoky up there? We drove through on Friday and that whole area was smoky due to the prescribed burn. Thanks!
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Looks like the burn is done, no smoke today, Tuesday. It was pretty heavy the last few days. I'm probably heading up after the weather clears in a couple days, the route has very light snow right now and should be a breeze (can see it out my window). Go for it!