Kit Carson/Challenger Point??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alyssacait23
14ers: 58  1  4 
13ers: 54 1
Trip Reports (0)

Kit Carson/Challenger Point??

Post by alyssacait23 »

What's the snow like up there?? Thinking about heading up Saturday if I can get a decent condition report!!
You can't turn back if you never gave it a try
CCSARCAP
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kit Carson/Challenger Point??

Post by CCSARCAP »

From my view in the Wets I can see most of the Sangre range. There is snow from about 11k and higher.

Bob
Bob
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

If you make it out, please post up what you find. Wanted to head up on Sunday, but it looks like work will make me push that back a week.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Someone posted some recent pics in the 14ers.com FB Group.

These Links might work

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8500_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4179_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3554_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
gcherrera
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gcherrera »

I was up on Humboldt Saturday, coming from the SCL side, and there was about 16-18 inches in the saddle. Most everything above about 12000 ft was blown out, leaving about 4-6 inches. It was snowing pretty hard on Sunday when we left, about 11 AM. I have some pictures if you are interested. The wind was blowing pretty hard out of the west, so I would image the western slopes would be accessible.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

There's snow. Challenger north slopes would be very challenging I think.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
alyssacait23
14ers: 58  1  4 
13ers: 54 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alyssacait23 »

We turned back about 500 feet from the summit due to weather and conditions. Snow shoes are not needed, but bring an axe.There was not enough ice for crampons to make a difference but that could change any day. Our biggest concern was the snow being slick because it was so wet and just slid out from underneath you especially if there was rock or grass beneath it. Absolutely gorgeous back there so it was worth it. We hiked 21 this season and have not turned back so it was a heart breaker, but definitely the right decision. Can't wait to get back there this summer!!
You can't turn back if you never gave it a try
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

Thanks for the info.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I did both on friday. Microspikes/Axe are not "needed" for either right now, and the only "deep" snow is on the avenue, which is still passable by simply post holing through the sugary snow. Did them both with trail runners, no axe and didn't use the microspikes that i carried.