Castle/Conundrum conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Castle/Conundrum conditions

Post by Summit Stomper »

This is SoCool! You can actually edit/correct posts you've made. VeryCool! :)
Teeth to the wind!
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

Well, the current plan is to make an attempt on Thursday. Unless someone with 4WD decides to come, we will leave from the Castle Creek TH @ 9,800'. If you haven't sent me a PM yet and want to come, please contact me. If you have 4WD and are willing to drive up the road, we will make it worth your while :-D ! Otherwise, we will get some extra exercise.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

I'll be out there on Friday--can't make Thursday. I'll be starting my walk around 3a.m. anyway for sunrise light up high (photos). I'll be very interested in what you find--condition of road to 4WD trail head, need for traction/axe, condition of descent off of saddle, etc. It doesn't seem like this cold front brought much snow, so perhaps the pre-storm condition report is still valid (hopefully, you won't have the winds, though!). Good luck!
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

The guys that reported from Sunday the 26th didn't make it due to difficult conditions, but I have a feeling this next attempt will succeed because the weather has been stable lately, only a little new snow. With that said, the road could be a little scary even with a dusting- for those people that like to drive as far as possible and smirk at the 3,000 foot rule. (me on occasion.)
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

SoCool wrote:The guys that reported from Sunday the 26th didn't make it due to difficult conditions, but I have a feeling this next attempt will succeed because the weather has been stable lately, only a little new snow. With that said, the road could be a little scary even with a dusting- for those people that like to drive as far as possible and smirk at the 3,000 foot rule. (me on occasion.)
Having done Castle under similar conditions on 5 Oct my advice is to stay right at the headwall (12,800’). If you try and follow the gpx track and go left at the headwall you will end up in a bottomless gully of snow. Stay right and at the top of the headwall (~13,380’) you can cut southeast to gain access to the northeast ridge route for Castle…
Daniel Joder
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

See my just posted Condition Report. I'll have a full report on my website tomorrow night: http://www.danieljoderphotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Nice job on castle.
Daniel Joder
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Thank, SoCool. However, by the end of today (Saturday) I think my condition report will be useless. Looks like a good amount of snow coming in the next couple of days. Good news for the skiers and folks wanting winter conditions! BTW, who has ski poles (or trekking poles) that leave a good-sized elk print? It was either that or an elk summited Castle and Conundrum recently.