Wetterhorn with snow/ice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Wetterhorn with snow/ice

Post by AlexeyD »

How dangerous is the third-class section and ledges when covered in snow and ice? Thinking of heading up this weekend and want to know what people's experiences have been.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Wetterhorn with snow/ice

Post by colokeith »

It totally depends on your experience and equipment.

From my recolection it would not be bad if you were careful. The route is not "slabby" climbing. The most exposed section has good sized ledges that would be doable with snow on them. If ice is present on these ledges you would certainly want traction.

I recall one sloping slab near the ships prow that would be sketchy with ice on it.

Disclaimer I did have not climbed this in the snowy season.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

colokeith wrote:It totally depends on your experience and equipment.

From my recolection it would not be bad if you were careful. The route is not "slabby" climbing. The most exposed section has good sized ledges that would be doable with snow on them. If ice is present on these ledges you would certainly want traction.

I recall one sloping slab near the ships prow that would be sketchy with ice on it.

Disclaimer I did have not climbed this in the snowy season.
Thanks. Bringing and using (correctly) spikes, crampons, an axe, and second tool, in any combination of these depending on what conditions dictate, would not be an issue; just trying to figure out what it entails.

For comparison, how would you say it stands up to various parts of the Keyhole route on Longs?
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I would say it is similar to Longs would be harder in snowy conditions. The chockstone at the top of the trough and homestretch are probably harder in snow than the final part of wetterhorn.

The trough would climb similarly to the gully before the ships prow.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

While some ledges do exist, it is rather exposed, and a fall would be very bad. It was no big deal in summer conditions, but I'd think it would be quite skethcy on any ice.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

I remember Wetterhorn being basically like a staircase. It was exposed, but from what I can remember there would have to be considerable amounts of ice to make it dangerous. This is my opinion. Others might have a different experience.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I certainly wouldn't do it, and i'm pretty comfortable on semi steep snow. Very high consequence on that exposed section.
Climb up Pints down
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Snow conditions on Wetterhorn can be highly variable, but generally there is a decent chance you will find the crux ledges dry after a long dry spell since it is s.w. facing. There are some spots that I faced in on in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoXKdHU ... LMW7LrK9Pg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Kevin Baker wrote:Snow conditions on Wetterhorn can be highly variable, but generally there is a decent chance you will find the crux ledges dry after a long dry spell since it is s.w. facing. There are some spots that I faced in on in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoXKdHU ... LMW7LrK9Pg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agreed. I thought the crux was pretty reasonable in snow and didn't have much experience. Getting to it was almost more difficult. I haven't done it in dry conditions though so I don't know "how much" harder it would be. No second tool needed and likely no crampons, especially if you don't have experience climbing rock in crampons.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Wetterhorn is one of my favorite peaks. I should get down there in the snowy months for that experience, since I've only climbed it dry.

Going up on that thing is no sweat and I imagine no problem right now. Coming back down (because no other egress exists), you really feel the exposure and so, as Kevin Baker mentions, I'd expect it's more common than not to face in for several feet along the way on the descent.

The thing that I am uncertain of is the snow - because the final pitch is exposed, with some air between ledges - would the snow obscure or make some parts appear solid that are only unconsolidated snow underneath. I think you'd have some great views this time of year and the forecast is good, so by no means and I'm dissuading you from an attempt, but just be cautious -- and post a report! :)

Good luck!

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Kevin Baker wrote:Snow conditions on Wetterhorn can be highly variable, but generally there is a decent chance you will find the crux ledges dry after a long dry spell since it is s.w. facing. There are some spots that I faced in on in winter.

Baker's video has a little more snow than I experienced on my Winter ascent a few years ago. There was snow on the ledges, but it wasn't like climbing a snow filled gully.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summit Stomper »

Ok
Teeth to the wind!