Questions about this year's snow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Questions about this year's snow

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

DoctorBreaks wrote:
Dang that's wild. I am really excited to take my avy courses. Seems like aside from knowing how to be safe by previewing conditions out in the field you'd be taking a big chance going out in winter.
In case you, or anybody else, is wondering about the assertion that avalanche deaths have happened every month out of the year, a chart on the CAIC's site http://avalanche.state.co.us/accidents/ ... -reporting lays this out.

There is risk in almost everything, the key is learning how to manage risk, and knowing that avalanche danger and snowpack conditions often change (for better or for worse) in a day or two, sometimes even in a matter of hours. Looking at it as winter versus spring oversimplifies the issue--just because it's winter doesn't mean it's automatically a no-go anymore than spring automatically means it's safe.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Urban Snowshoer wrote:<snip>
If there's a lot of unconsolidated ground layers that get buried you have a major problem, especially if it persists throughout the season. All things being equal, a ground layer several feet down isn’t going to be as easy to trigger as an weak surface layer. However, if (or when) the weak ground layers go, the result is catastrophic. We're talking about an avalanche that is likely unsurvivable, as it will be hard to escape from and bury you deeply.
Another thing that makes it even more complicated is that a weak surface layer can be triggered (small avalanche), but the act of simply triggering that layer can cause a "step-down" event which causes failure of the deeper weak layer(s).

Avalanche "science" is an extremely complicated thing...
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

DoctorBreaks wrote:<snip>
Dang that's wild. I am really excited to take my avy courses. Seems like aside from knowing how to be safe by previewing conditions out in the field you'd be taking a big chance going out in winter.
It's pretty easy to mitigate avalanche risk via route selection. In fact, you can often almost eliminate the risk to yourself through this...
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It's pretty easy to mitigate avalanche risk via route selection.
I agree. Most Colorado peaks (including most of the 14ers) have at least one route up that usually has low avalanche danger, regardless of conditions. Route selection is the most important aspect when winter mountaineering.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

SkaredShtles wrote:It's pretty easy to mitigate avalanche risk via route selection. In fact, you can often almost eliminate the risk to yourself through this...
I also agree: particularly in early season, many aspects will simply not hold enough snow to present any sort of avy hazard. My point was only that SOME danger can and does exist; however, if you know what to expect and choose routes that avoid such places, you should be OK.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

Seems to me that people skiing the peaks would more likely be in avy terrain than those hiking them in winter conditions, as often (and unfortunately) the best slopes for skiing tend to be avy prone, but when hiking, you can stick to ridgelines etc and avoid a good amount of avy exposure
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Interesting, is there any resource that shows which routes are avy safe?
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Here is one source:

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind that the routes which are pointed out as having low avalanche danger are only applicable if you stay on route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Scott P wrote:Here is one source:

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks - I'll find myself using that one as well.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

DoctorBreaks wrote:Interesting, is there any resource that shows which routes are avy safe?
Once you take you Avy I course, you can then use the CalTopo feature located in the Overlays of this map: http://www.14ers.com/map.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind that you can trigger an avalanche when you are on flat ground, if there is a slope directly above you that is greater than 30 degrees. This is why taking an Avalanche awareness course is so important. Listening to a stranger on the internet tell you a route is "safe" is a fallacy, since it's your responsibility while out there to know what is ok, since you could get off-route. Too many gotcha's to leave it to chance. Plus there have been one too many times I've heard whumps while on flat ground, and it freaks everyone out. While after taking the class and having experience, you can then say - it's just the willows beneath me -or- something more serious. I've seen a lot of hikers freak out over nothing, and skiers not care over something serious.

#1 Get educated
#2 Go out with experienced partners
#3 Carry the gear, and know how to use it
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

bergsteigen wrote: Once you take you Avy I course, you can then use the CalTopo feature located in the Overlays of this map: http://www.14ers.com/map.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Little known fact, Caltopo requires you to have a AIARE level 1 in order to use caltopo's slope angle. :wink:
Last edited by jmanner on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

J-Man, did you read the rest of that post? I thought the message was pretty clear.