Manitou from Divide

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RockCaCO3
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Manitou from Divide

Post by RockCaCO3 »

England wrote:
jrs1965 wrote:I did the Crags Route a few years back in mid November. I made it to the Highway which was still closed by about 6:30 AM. Since the Highway was closed I cruised most of the route on the pavement. I think I made the summit just before 8 AM. The van with the summit house crew did not show up until about 8:30 AM. I watch the summit cams often from my office, if the weather is decent the Highway is generally open…

http://parks.coloradosprings.gov/pikespeak
Don't cruise the pavement...it' illegal(unless something changed). Rangers patrol the road even when it's closed.
Does "cruise the pavement" mean walk on the road? And if so, why is that illegal?
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

RockCaCO3 wrote:
England wrote:
jrs1965 wrote:I did the Crags Route a few years back in mid November. I made it to the Highway which was still closed by about 6:30 AM. Since the Highway was closed I cruised most of the route on the pavement. I think I made the summit just before 8 AM. The van with the summit house crew did not show up until about 8:30 AM. I watch the summit cams often from my office, if the weather is decent the Highway is generally open…

http://parks.coloradosprings.gov/pikespeak
Don't cruise the pavement...it' illegal(unless something changed). Rangers patrol the road even when it's closed.
Does "cruise the pavement" mean walk on the road? And if so, why is that illegal?
Yes, I walked the road.

I think walking the road is deemed to be unsafe due to the danger of being hit by some tourist that is probably scared $hitless and smoking their brakes driving down the mountain. Probably not something I would try had the road actually been open at the time…
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The City of Colorado Springs operates the highway under a special use permit from the USFS. They establish the rules/regulations which include:

"The Pikes Peak Highway Rangers are on duty at all times when the highway is open. They are here to help make your trip to Pikes Peak the highlight of your vacation. If you have trouble of any kind, send for or wait for the Rangers who will assist you.

Mountain roads are as safe as any other roads if the driving speed is kept consistent with the type of road and conditions.

Reminder: There is no hiking or overnight camping/parking allowed on the Pikes Peak Highway"
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

RockCaCO3 wrote:Does "cruise the pavement" mean walk on the road? And if so, why is that illegal?

because it is against the law.
Dalexprice
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dalexprice »

KentonB wrote:Dalexprice,

A couple things...

I'm not sure what your experience level is, but I noticed you said that Sentinel Point gave you a "small taste of Boulder climbing and higher altitude hiking". That gave me the impression you may not have spent much (if any) time above 13K? If not, Attempting a Crags-to-Manitou hike (in cold Fall conditions) is a pretty substantial hike! If I've misunderstood, then you can set me straight.

Also, Jim Davies mentioned that the hike up Sentinel is similar to a climb from the Crags to Devil's Playground. I would agree with that, but I do not think he meant it was the same as a climb all the way to Pikes Peak from the Crags. Once you reach Devil's Playground, there's still a fairly substantial hike at high elevation from there to the summit... and a much longer hike back down the other side.

The one big advantage (as others have mentioned) is the summit house - where you can warm up and grab something to eat. Still, I just wanted to make sure you had "eyes wide open" for this big of a hike.

-Kent
Thank you so much, I'm glad i heard that before rushing out there. Im running out of time here in colorado springs before I'm in Leadville till summer so I'm too eager to do some stuff. I do have a will stronger then some to hike but Im no superman haha. I have done a lot of hiking out here, nearly every day but your right Kent i haven't spent too much time above the tree line.

So then what may you suggest as a good work up to that, something to get me used to the higher altitude before attempting such a hike. Any experience is good experience considering I'm going to CMC in Leadville for outdoor ed.

Thank you to everybody else here too, Im new to the area so I don't exactly have people I can ask out here directly for help. Finding great help here

-David Price
Dalexprice
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dalexprice »

Not quitting the hike just reevaluating it :)
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

David,

I'm under the impression this will be your first 14er... and it also sounds like you're planning to do this solo, is that correct? If so, I have to be honest and say your plans sound a bit "risky". Of course, you know your own abilities, so it's up to you. Let me at least throw out a suggestion though... Rather than try and tackle a full Divide-to-Manitou hike all at once as we're approaching winter conditions, I'd suggest scaling back your plans this fall to get a taste for what you're up against, and then try the full hike next summer when there is more daylight and warmer temperatures.

One option would be to drive the Pikes Peak Toll Road up to Devil's Playground and hike from there to the summit and back... This would give you a taste of hiking at lower oxygen levels and allow you to see the hardest part of the trail without being too committed.

Another option would be to just plan a trip from the Crags to the summit and back with someone "on call" for a ride down if it's needed (injury, fading daylight, altitude sickness, etc.)

As for conditioning, if you've been acclimating in the Springs for a while, that will certainly help. Daily hiking is good too. I prefer trail running, but everyone has their own thing. If you're getting regular workouts here at 6,000 feet, that's probably sufficient.

In any case, let us know what you decide and then how it goes!

-Kent