South Elbert Name Change...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: South Elbert Name Change...

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Gack

Are you trying to kill me? Cuz I have to be dead for them to name a rock after me. lol
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

this part bugs me:
"Kim Whitley also trekked to the top of a 14,134 unnamed geographic feature (two miles away) and placed a William & Mary flag there"

might as well rename Pikes Peak to Mount Pikes Peak Community College
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

mountaingoat-G wrote:this part bugs me:
"Kim Whitley also trekked to the top of a 14,134 unnamed geographic feature (two miles away) and placed a William & Mary flag there"

might as well rename Pikes Peak to Mount Pikes Peak Community College
In September i questioned why a random yellow flag and an army storage box were on top of this Jr. Summit. Oh glorious answers to old questions
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

William & Mary. William for Bill Middlebrook. Mary for Mary Jane. You could say it's for the ski area, but this is progressive Colorado!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

I'm opposed to the name change. In my opinion, it's a shameless attempt to gain publicity and enhance reputation by association with the true Collegiate Peaks (Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, and Oxford). It makes more sense to find an unnamed mountain in Virginia (where the college is located) and name it William and Mary.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

MountainHiker wrote:William & Mary. William for Bill Middlebrook. Mary for Mary Jane. You could say it's for the ski area, but this is progressive Colorado!
Mount William & Gerry.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
katbiette
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Post by katbiette »

^^Yep. My vote is for mt gerry. Done.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

katbiette wrote:^^Yep. My vote is for mt gerry. Done.
Haha!
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Mount Gerry is in the right direction - for my two cents, how about Mount Steve Gladbach? If there is a name in need of usage, his qualifies.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Mark A Steiner wrote: for my two cents, how about Mount Steve Gladbach? If there is a name in need of usage, his qualifies.
Agree, but not for this peak. I remember one of his posts about Samuel Elbert. I never met Steve but I doubt he would want to be associated with Elbert.
Below is part of his post that I copied and pasted.

"My vote for a name that most NEEDS to be Changed: Mount Elbert!

Samuel Elbert was never elected Governor of the Colorado territory: He was APPOINTED twice.
Samuel Elbert was fired TWICE as Territorial Governor.
As Secretary of State to Governor Evans, he was commonly associated with the Sand Creek Massacre cover-up and , for that reason, was fired as acting Governor (a position he assumed when Governor Evans was fired.) Chief Niwot was among those murdered at Sand Creek."
Last edited by planet54 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

planet54 wrote:My vote for a name that most NEEDS to be Changed: Mount Elbert!
Interesting. When you look up the history of the names of 14ers (on this site, of course) there are a number of names that makes you wonder why they have them in the first place. A few:

Mt. Democrat: Miners that hated (republican) President Lincoln named it.
Mt. Bross: Named for a guy with a mine in Alma that liked the view from Mt. Lincoln.
Mt. Wilson: A great guy, but does he need TWO 14ers named after him (Wilson Peak)?
Missouri Mountain: Homesick miners from Missouri. Texas Mountain would be better, IMO.

And by the way, Bill, Grays was named while Mr. Asa Gray was still alive, who then climbed it. Middlebrook Mountain it is!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

jmanner wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:
jmanner wrote:I do think it is interesting that they invoke the Louisiana Purchase when the line of the purchase would have put the Sawatch in Spanish(and later Mexican) control.
And later under Texas control. So, perhaps the correct name should be Mount [University of] Texas. That would be more historically appropriate than William and Mary. Just saying. :xST
TEXAS!!!!! :guns: :guns: :cussing: :thefinger: :fight: :detonate: :dynamite: :barf off: :onfire:
Let's not hate too much now...lol. Actually. UT would probably not really fly with most Texans anyways. We probably have almost as many Sooner fans here than Longhorns, plus you've gotta divide the populace with the Red Raiders (smh), Aggies (no, just, no), Cougars (no one really cares for UH outside of Houston), Horned Frogs (bandwagon fans mostly over the last 3 years), Bears (another bandwagon team) and maybe even a sliver of the population will want the name to be Mt. Mean Green (UNT). I personally would like Mt. Buckeye or Brutus Peak....my preference.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.