Summer prep advice - Bells & Pyramid

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Summer prep advice - Bells & Pyramid

Post by macgyver »

Looking for some suggestions or advice about tackling some of the Elks this summer. I'd be taking an extended weekend to hike Pyramid, Maroon and N. Maroon later this summer as the weather allows. We don't want to do the Bells traverse, and would be using Thurs, Fri and Sat to hike the peaks and avoid the big crowds. In your opinion, what would be the best order to hike these peaks to accomplish this?
I'd be driving from Denver after work on a Wednesday to get closer to the trailhead (within 45 minute drive, camp in truck).
-MacG
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Summer prep advice - Bells & Pyramid

Post by Scott P »

I don't think the order matters, but South Maroon was the least fun (at least to descend) in my opinion. So, if you want to get the least fun out of the way first, maybe do that one first.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Scott P wrote: but South Maroon was the least fun (at least to descend) in my opinion.
This gets a lot of airplay around here, and it is quite a hump.

But it's not like the view is horrible or anything. We took our time coming down, had lunch and soaked in the view. Not bad at all.
view from south.jpg
view from south.jpg (264.49 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I've never done the trifecta in three continuous days, but in 2013 I did Pyramid and then S. Maroon the next day and in 2014 I did the reverse (S. Maroon and then Pyramid the next day). I preferred doing Pyramid first. I think it is the most physically challenging of the three. N. Maroon is the most mentally challenging in my opinion, but physically may be the easiest. I personally think S. Maroon is the most fun given its "chutes and ladders" (or "ledges and gullies") route-finding, but, yeah, the descent BLOWS. So I would probably recommend doing Pyramid, then S. Maroon, then N. Maroon. That likely makes the most sense in terms of camping logistics as well. All are amazing peaks, and when you come back down and stop at the "Deadly Bells" kiosk to read the signage, the accomplishment of making the summit of all three will really strike home. But treat them with the respect they deserve. Know the routes and bring print-offs of the excellent descriptions on this site. Leave early. Make sure every step and handhold is in control and deliberate. They are called "deadly" for a reason.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

P, NM, then M. Steepest hardest when your legs are freshest. You'll want to bring trekking poles. I wouldn't use them beyond the Rock Glacier on NM as it'll be either level or you'll want to keep your hands free. Same for P once you get the ridge up the 1,000' slope. Haven't done M, but sounds like the Slope of Suck begs for them. BTW, some can do all three in a day by doing the traverse then going up P via the west route (or is it NW?).
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Didn't BAD Dad do them all in 24 hours or less?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I think starting early and being flexible with your plan (due to weather) are two things that are good to keep in mind - but I have a sense you've already have that covered.

Get the best sleep possible. I don't think you're going to miss much when it comes to crowds on any day in the summer. Most especially at the trail head. After about a mile, you'll see almost no one.

The ascent up Maroon Peak was steep, but doable.
The descent from North Maroon seemed endless and dangerous.
I vastly underestimated Pyramid - I'm not sure what I was thinking. After the Bells, it was the third peak I took on that day. The trail up to the rock glacier was nice, though.

Watch out for the goats.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

TallGrass wrote: You'll want to bring trekking poles. I wouldn't use them beyond the Rock Glacier on NM as it'll be either level or you'll want to keep your hands free. Same for P once you get the ridge up the 1,000' slope. (or is it NW?).
I ditched my poles on Pyramid before that slope and wish I hadn't. I think they would have been helpful up to the saddle right before the class 3 stuff starts.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Did the Crater Lake campsites get reopened last year after the avalanche wiped them out?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

I thought the Crater Lake campground closure was due to 'BEARS'--- I miss things all the time (old age)--- I think Jordan White did all three Mtns in a day,while training for Denali a few years ago!!
Generalcuz
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Generalcuz »

I did the Bells and traverse, then explored a different range on a long weekend once. I remember looking at Pyramid and thinking, "save it for another year." Glad I did. I went back this past year, hit it, had a good time. Made for more enjoyment that way. Besides, you're close to other ranges and fun. Mix it up.

Now, onto Capitol this summer. :)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

A comment I should have made in my earlier post is this: Regardless of how you fit south into your schedule, make sure you put your helmet on once you leave the trail next to the creek and head up the 2800 foot slope. It looks grassy and non-threatening for much of it, but it's not. Just past where this image was taken, while not wearing a helmet, I was shelled by a softball sized rock that caught me right in the belt buckle. That took some of the impact and aside from a bruise there I was uninjured. That slope is steep enough that once something starts moving, it's unlikely to stop.

If that rock had got me in the noggin, hard head or not, I would have been hosed. It was a lucky break. There was no warning at all. Unlike a rock bounding down a couloir, rocks rolling and bouncing on grass make little or no sound.

Wear your helmet.
slope.jpg
slope.jpg (276.01 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase