Cristo Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ralph
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Cristo Couloir

Post by ralph »

Does anyone have current conditions or reports? Thinking about this route this weekend. Thanks
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Cristo Couloir

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Not at the couloir, but photos taken from Hoosier Pass, yesterday:
600_0032a.jpg
600_0032a.jpg (587.91 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
600_0040a.jpg
600_0040a.jpg (640.87 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
600_0041a.jpg
600_0041a.jpg (619.08 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

We went up it yesterday. Lower ~half was nicely solid, upper half was a bit easy to punch through in sections. We figured it should be more consolidated by midweek, with the weather coming up. Was stable, but a pain postholing in some areas. Did see a lot of rollerballs, so don't get on it too late (we were at the base of the couloir at sunrise, and had no problems). I'll try to upload some pictures tonight.

Bill - just curious, when did you snap those pics? We summited around 10:15.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I took those at 11:15am
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Darn, was hoping we'd lucked out and you'd got a picture of us on the summit, but we were well down the ridge at that point, winds up to ~50 mph on the summit kept us from sticking around up there for too long.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

G Miller: skiing Cristo Saturday. Wondering if we can ski the road back to the car(s)?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

jmanner wrote:G Miller: skiing Cristo Saturday. Wondering if we can ski the road back to the car(s)?
We were up there 9 days ago and the road had only a few dry patches so you should be able to ski at least 2/3 of it.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Are you guys able to comment on the possibility of either of the two gullies/couloirs east of Cristo? Bill's first picture makes both look more skiable than Cristo, but Google says otherwise. I think Davenport skied the one farthest right in the picture that seems to run out of snow right at the bottom of the image. The middle couloir looks like it cliffs out.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Would Cristo be the best possibility among these three to do some skiing on a 14er without checking the skier dude bling icon?

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-quandary-peak.php
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

So close to having couloir hero shots taken by the Bill Middlebrooker. #DYBM

Here's a conditions report from our climb yesterday: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=4327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Awesome! Thanks everyone! edit: Well except for the post holes we now have to navigate when we are harvesting the sweet corn.
Last edited by jmanner on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

BenfromtheEast wrote:Are you guys able to comment on the possibility of either of the two gullies/couloirs east of Cristo? Bill's first picture makes both look more skiable than Cristo, but Google says otherwise. I think Davenport skied the one farthest right in the picture that seems to run out of snow right at the bottom of the image. The middle couloir looks like it cliffs out.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Would Cristo be the best possibility among these three to do some skiing on a 14er without checking the skier dude bling icon?

There might be a line, but it's definitely cliffy toward the bottom. Maybe if you were a cool snowboarder or something.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

BenfromtheEast wrote:Are you guys able to comment on the possibility of either of the two gullies/couloirs east of Cristo? Bill's first picture makes both look more skiable than Cristo, but Google says otherwise. I think Davenport skied the one farthest right in the picture that seems to run out of snow right at the bottom of the image. The middle couloir looks like it cliffs out.

Both of those couloirs can be continuous to the bottom with enough snow but I don't think they are right now. When we were up at Blue Lakes last week, the cliff section was visible in the center couloir (the one to the right of Cristo). Some members of the site are up on North Star today so I'll ask them later if they took any shots of Quandary's south side.