Camping areas near Mt. Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vsigler
Trip Reports (0)

Camping areas near Mt. Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross

Post by vsigler »

I will be visiting Mt. Democrat in early June, hoping for a little snow on the south slopes, and would like to spend a couple of nights on the mountain. From the topo map, it looks like the area adjacent to Emma Lake is rather flat and might be a good camp site. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Also, I will have two 14 year-olds with me. With that in mind, is the Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross loop a reasonable consideration? We would like to be up there for three days...any campsites along the loop?
Thank you.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Camping areas near Mt. Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross

Post by dpage »

There's forest service fee camp sites at Kite Lake.
atbaritone
14ers: 55 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atbaritone »

No campsites along the loop between Democrat/Lincoln/Bross, and I don't know why you would want to camp up there. Stay at Kite Lake campground: good sites, incredible views, and as close to the mountains as you could possibly want. And at 12K feet elevation, you'll have your fill of altitude after three nights. Plenty of 14-year-olds have completed the loop as a day hike. If they're in good shape, go for it. And there are plenty of opportunities to bale out if necessary. Enjoy, be safe!
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Also would recommend Kite Lake.
vsigler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vsigler »

atbaritone wrote:No campsites along the loop between Democrat/Lincoln/Bross, and I don't know why you would want to camp up there. Stay at Kite Lake campground: good sites, incredible views, and as close to the mountains as you could possibly want. And at 12K feet elevation, you'll have your fill of altitude after three nights. Plenty of 14-year-olds have completed the loop as a day hike. If they're in good shape, go for it. And there are plenty of opportunities to bale out if necessary. Enjoy, be safe!
Thanks for the info for Kite Lake...it does look nice. I was hoping to give the kids an "alpine" experience by hiking up a few hundred feet and setting up our own camp. The area around Lake Emma looked like it might be the place.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I do not recommend hiking Democrat via the Emma Chutes. It was a scree nightmare, very steep pitches, and loose/nasty/crumbly rocks. I am not sure how far up the road you can get in early June with as much snow as we have gotten this late spring. The road is rough too. High clearance and/or 4x4 recommended.

After you do the DeCaLiBro... Consider doing a few of the 13ers in the Mosquito Range: http://13ers.com/peaks/13ers.php?range=m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Bucksin, Loveland, etc.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Here is a fragment topo map I saw online:
http://www.mytopo.com/locations/index.cfm?fid=179933
The rectangles are mining claims. A sign near the main Democrat trail says to stay on trail beacuse due to some private land 9mining claims)..
The main trail goes to the northeast of Kite Lake to a saddle between Democrat and Cameron. Its in good shape. But crss-country up a thsand feet to Emma may not be in as good shape.
One year I climbed Democrat on Fathers Day with a lot of snow starting mid-way up the saddle.

Some years early season you need a high clearance veicle to make it all the way to Kite Lake. Spring runoff carves gullies. People park at turnoff down the road to avoid gullies and dayuse fee.
vsigler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vsigler »

Thank you, everyone. You bring up great points, and I have noticed the SNOTEL reports of lots of snow recently. That's the reason why I thought the chutes would be fun, especially if the snow is consolidated. 14ers describes the chutes route ('South Slopes' on the website) as 40-45 degrees, which is when it starts to get fun if the snow is good. I did Dead Dog Couloir on Torrey's two years ago in June and enjoyed it, so the exposure isn't a huge issue for me. However, based on the input above, it sounds like the chutes route is not as straightforward as 14ers makes it sound. Is this right?