18 Month Old baby? Go or no?? HELP!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 18 Month Old baby? Go or no?? HELP!

Post by polar »

Chicago Transplant wrote:I was taken up Pikes on the Cog when I was 16 months.
If anything, it started me on a path to being a future climber as an adult, so be careful, you might create a monster!
You really remember an experience from when you were 16 months old? :wft:
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

polar wrote:
If anything, it started me on a path to being a future climber as an adult, so be careful, you might create a monster!

My first memory is losing my bathing suit in our privy up in Minnesota.
I was old enough to go on my own, so I was at least potty trained. Definitely at least 2 years old.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

JQDivide wrote:I don't recommend for these two main reasons...

What if something happens to you? That puts the baby at risk.

Can the baby communicate that he is getting sunburned, his eyes hurt, he's dehydrated, that the pack is hurting, his ears hurt, he has a headache, etc?

There is no benefit to the baby to go on the 14er. It's all about you, for whatever motivations you have.

There is a risk, not a huge risk, but still not worth it. You need to ask yourself, why?

Others will disagree. Others have done it.
What's the risk worth to you and your family?
JQ
^^^ this. I have a 12-month old boy, so I know the desire to spend more time with your family and spend more time hiking/climbing. But at the end, I’m not going to carry my son up a 14er just so I can fulfill both desires at the same time. When my son is old enough to appreciate the outdoors, I’d be happy to take him hiking and climbing, but he has to make that choice willingly. If I take him up a 14er right now when he can’t even remember what happened to him an hour ago, I would be doing that for myself, not for him.

Edited to add:

The effect of high altitude in young children has not been well studied, mostly due to lack of data. This is the only paper I found on the subject, maybe worth reading.
http://ismm.org/tl_files/infocenter/ISM ... titude.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I came across an article on the effect of extreme high altitude (above 8000 meters) exposure on the brain. This may not have any bearing on climbing a 14er (less than 5000 meters), but since a young child's brain is still in development, it's at least food for thought.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/health ... /108825143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

12ersRule wrote:
polar wrote:

My first memory is losing my bathing suit in our privy up in Minnesota.
I was old enough to go on my own, so I was at least potty trained. Definitely at least 2 years old.
I don't, but my parents do. Besides, I look pretty content in the picture :-D

"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
claguire
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by claguire »

I a have a 3yr old and 6 year old. Each have logged 100s of miles in the child carrier. We spend most summers in southern Utah and have even done an overnight-er in the Smokie mountains. However I have never serious considered hauling the family up a 14er. You have to get them up too early, and the weather could be life threatening (wind, hail, rain). Each summer we stop off in Colorado so I can climb a 14er or 2 on the way back from Utah, I get up fairly early and rejoin the family after lunch, much more enjoyable and safer.