Snow condition memorial weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Noam606
Trip Reports (0)

Snow condition memorial weekend

Post by Noam606 »

Hi,

I was doing some hiking on memorial weekend 2012. I climbed quandary peak and it was just fine. a bit of snow but nothing crazy. I used just hiking boots.
How is it this year? I'm coming this memorial weekend and I wanted to climb some mountains around Breckenridge. Did this year the snow was heavier and I should expect more snow?

Thanks y'all
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snow condition memorial weekend

Post by sigepnader »

I wish I was able to travel back to Memorial weekend 2012. I wouldn't have trekked up Quandary that weekend. Instead I could've tried a less crowded peak. I digress....

What peaks are you thinking of?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Lots and lots of lovely snow. It's looking like mid winter up around the 10 Mile still. Even Decalibron and Sherman are flocked with white.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Noam606
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Noam606 »

thanks for the replies.

any peak would be fine. it's beautiful everywhere in that area.
sounds like any peak will have a lot of snow (I got no issues with patches).
Any ideas for hikes around Breckenridge that will be in lower altitude?

one of the hikes I wanted to do is Chicago lakes: http://www.protrails.com/trail/393/summ ... /Trail_Map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another hike I wanted to do: http://www.protrails.com/trail/368/summ ... /Trail_Map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think those hikes are possible to do without any snow equipment?

Thanks again.
Newt2
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Newt2 »

The snotel report is showing about a foot of snow at most areas around 10,000 feet. It the weather holds up over the next couple of weeks you might be able to get to Lower Chicago Lake and Lower Mohawk Lake without too much problem but you'll probably run into pretty good snow to get to the upper lake on either route. You might be fine if it's packed down enough though.

Here's a link to the report. For Chicago Lakes, reference Echo Lake and Hoosier Pass for Mohawk. Should give you an idea at least.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports/Up ... ate+Report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

2012 was an exceptionally dry year. Remember all the fires? Recent storms have deposited a lot of new snow above 10K. The long term forecast is still for below normal temps and above normal precip. I expect a lot of snow to remain up high on Memorial Day which is less than two weeks away.

Dave
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

bergsteigen wrote:Lots and lots of lovely snow. It's looking like mid winter up around the 10 Mile still. Even Decalibron and Sherman are flocked with white.
I like the way you think !!

I am looking forward to this sticking around well into June.....
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I was hoping as well to do a "summer" type 14er climb that weekend also, specifically Harvard / Columbia (south facing routes). Earlier this winter it was apparently pretty dry, but got a lot of snow in April. Dave's forecast doesn't look good that way either. I guess I'll have to wait, or try an easy snow climb.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Noam606
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Noam606 »

Thanks for the replies...I already booked hotels and all so I will try to find some nice trails.
Maybe next time I will shoot for July :wink:
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Breck isn't far from the Lost Creek Wilderness, which is lower altitude and dries out faster. Look into Bison Peak. It's a 12er, but a gorgeous one with an interesting summit.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

everyone I talk to about the Lost Creek Wilderness says it's a mob scene..
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

mountaingoat-G wrote:everyone I talk to about the Lost Creek Wilderness says it's a mob scene..
I've never experienced crowds. I've climbed Bison without seeing another soul. Maybe the secret is out ??
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."