Mosquitos

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mosquitos

Post by ajkagy »

lots of west nile reported already this season...

http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/wnv_co_human.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/fcons/fcons2.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Disease-carrying mosquitoes are spreading as the climate allows them to survive in formerly inhospitable areas"
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »

I was in the Lost Creek Wilderness this weekend, and they were terrible there, too. I couldn't stop to take a picture without getting swarmed. There was a lot of water along the Brookside-McCurdy trail still, so I expect it's not going to get better for a little while.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

At what elevation do you have to be to avoid the mosquitos?
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

tobiasfunke wrote:At what elevation do you have to be to avoid the mosquitos?
Treeline.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Buckshot Jake
14ers: 58 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Buckshot Jake »

TravelingMatt wrote:
Treeline.
They were getting us well above treeline on Mt. Adams. I was fending them off as high as 13K.
Buckshot

14er Finisher No. 1,580 ALL TIME
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

no where is safe if there is water around
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

At what elevation do you have to be to avoid the mosquitos?
Far above any lakes/swampy areas, regardless of elevation. Often when above timberline elevations are windy, it keeps the mosquitoes away, but not if it isn't that windy.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

A low temperature and something a little more than a breeze really helps. It's pretty bad this year.
geoffirons
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by geoffirons »

Just spent three days in Holy Cross Wilderness. Lots of mosquitoes, but this is the second year I treated hats, shirts, pants and socks with Permethrin. We used no insect repellent on our skin, and we had no issues with mosquito bites.
Geoff Irons
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Bushwacking down from California to get to the Lily Lake TH, it occurred to me there are only to speeds of hiking:
1. Faster than mosquitos. \:D/
2. Slower than mosquitos. :evil:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

If you're faster than mosquitoes, it's because they aren't hungry enough.

Mosquitoes are worse in the western sangres than anywhere else. But they're easily dealt with with long sleeves, long pants, and mosquito netting. Bug spray on top can help too.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."