Projected Monsoon Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Projected Monsoon Conditions

Post by San Juan Ron »

Mountain Gerbil wrote:Just to be clear: most of the moisture is still coming in the form of afternoon/evening storms, right?

Has it been noticeably cloudier earlier in the day, as well?
We have actually had morning rains (and afternoon rains and evening rains) over the past week. Looking at the forecast, it does look like we will be finally begin to dry out. But, it's been very wet. Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

A 31-degree dew point in northern Maricopa County this (Thursday the 9th) a.m., well below the monsoonal threshold of 55 degrees. Brief period of drier weather is here, should be short-lived.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Has the rain been state wide, or just in some areas? I'm headed out around the end of August to the San Juans. How has it been there this summer? It's been a cooler, very wet summer here in Ohio. It sounds like Co. has been the same way.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

So, I'm planning an extended trip to the San Juans later this summer. Would after Labor Day be preferable to August in terms of the monsoons lessening somewhat? Or is that an unknown/unknowable?
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Old Hickory wrote:So, I'm planning an extended trip to the San Juans later this summer. Would after Labor Day be preferable to August in terms of the monsoons lessening somewhat? Or is that an unknown/unknowable?
Might be better, might not. Early Sept is typically wet although the precip does tend to tail off toward the end of the month. Silverton precip as an example:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cosilv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

bking14ers wrote:Has the rain been state wide, or just in some areas? I'm headed out around the end of August to the San Juans. How has it been there this summer? It's been a cooler, very wet summer here in Ohio. It sounds like Co. has been the same way.
Pretty much all the mountainous areas of the state. My go-to webcam for the San Juans is http://www.ridgwaycam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and... well, you can see Sneffels today; that's an improvement.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Has the rain been state wide, or just in some areas?
In July, it seems that it has been statewide. June was very dry in parts of Colorado and wetter in others.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

bking14ers wrote:Has the rain been state wide, or just in some areas? I'm headed out around the end of August to the San Juans. How has it been there this summer? It's been a cooler, very wet summer here in Ohio. It sounds like Co. has been the same way.
Front Range usually dries out for a spell mid May to mid July. No this year when it has rained most days. Some blaming it on an incipient strong El Nino.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

sieggy80305 wrote:I didn't look into winter too much. Currently I think the projection for this El Nino is on the weaker side (someone feel free to correct me on this).

However, in general terms El Nino tends to favor a southwest flow so places like Crested Butte, Telluride, etc. have a higher potential to do better. There is also a higher chance for more upslope storms to hit the Front Range. With all that being side just a slight variance in the jet stream can make things great for Summit and I70 in an El Nino and vice versa. Statistically I don't think there is a huge benefit.

The bigger thing to watch for is the high pressure ridge that plagued CO and to a much larger extent, CA this last ski season. I haven't read anything yet on projections on that to return yet or how El Nino will affect the potential for the ridge to form.
Strength of El Nino seems to be increasingly stronger through the winter. El Nino has generally resulted in heavier moisture/snow in Colorado but of course that's with low certainty as is most weather forecasting beyond 3 days.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... ay-models/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

"an even stronger El Niño event this winter than the 1997 one"

Oh, man... we can only hope. The winter of 1997 was a magical one...
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

SkaredShtles wrote:"an even stronger El Niño event this winter than the 1997 one"

I remember that year :-D it all started with the 2+ ft of snow that Denver area had in late October of 1997.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

randalmartin wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:"an even stronger El Niño event this winter than the 1997 one"

I remember that year :-D it all started with the 2+ ft of snow that Denver area had in late October of 1997.
I remember it being one of the warmest winters ever in Chicago, and definitely the warmest in my time there. By that it was usually above 30° every day, and we only had one real snowfall event, toward the end of winter.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake