Leaving tent & pack at Mt. Elbert camping area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Leaving tent & pack at Mt. Elbert camping area

Post by Point North »

Is it safe to leave your tent with stuff in it at the Mt. Elbert camping area, while you summit?

I plan to leave early in the morning, and come back in the afternoon. Since this will be part of an 80-mile CT section hike, I'd like to leave a lot of gear I won't need for the summit hike in the tent, some of which is high quality (expensive). I would think your stuff would be perfectly safe, but would like some feedback. Thanks.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Leaving tent & pack at Mt. Elbert camping area

Post by oldschoolczar »

Chances are you'll be fine, but no one can give you that guarantee. By and large I think most people hiking are decent people, but I have heard occasional stories over the past few years of people's gear getting stolen... I think the likelihood might go up a bit if you're camping at a trailhead where there's more traffic and easy egress for thieves. If you're a few miles and a few thousand feet in, I think the chance of theft diminishes but the consequences go up!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

It's a numbers game. You'll be fine 99/100 times. Personally I'd stash it a few dozen meters in the woods and feel better about it. Crooks are everywhere, even in the mountains.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

If you're section hiking, give some thought to getting further along than the campground. There are plenty of more secluded places to camp around the S Elbert trail...
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yeah, I'd probably hide it in the woods also. Motorized access increases the number of jerks.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

I would leave my stuff in the camp ground and probably not give it a second thought, but there are some nice more secluded spots further down the trail. If you do stash your stuff in the woods, it might be worth leaving a note saying the gear isn't abandoned and when you plan to retrieve your gear. To keep some well meaning person from carrying your gear out.