Castle/Conundrum direction

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Castle/Conundrum direction

Post by tobiasfunke »

The standard route for doing these two in combo looks like going up the NE ridge of Castle, crossing the saddle over to Conundrum, and descending the saddle to between Castle and Conundrum. It looks like that descent has a lot of loose rock, and most of the pictures show the route with snow. How is this combo this time of year with all the snow melted? Does anyone prefer to ascend Conundrum first up that saddle and then descend over Castle's NE ridge?
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Castle/Conundrum direction

Post by Justin9 »

I was just there yesterday and ascended the standard NE ridge route. I think going up to the saddle first would be a more difficult option, mostly because every step you took, you'd slide back half of it...I also think you'd miss The best part of these mountains which is ascending the ridge. We did descend from the saddle. I'd recommend standard route for these guys.
AdDoBe
14ers: 33  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdDoBe »

I prefer resummiting Castle and avoiding going down the saddle all together \:D/
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

I was also up there yesterday and descended from the saddle. When it's fully melted out, like it is now, you definitely would want to go down rather than up as the previous poster had mentioned.

The top section is pretty straightforward until you get to a cliff band further down. The top part of the cliffs is a Class 3 down climb, but there's plenty of hand / footholds to get through it. You'll traverse to the right, and then it's just a Class 2 controlled slide until you reach the talus below.

I was pretty worried about that stretch looking at it from a distance - but once I got into it, it turned out to not really be a big deal.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Another vote for going back over Castle. Why take the risk in order to save a bit of time.
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alsrun »

The saddle without snow is one of those descents you say to yourself never again.
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Did the Castle/Conundrum traverse and descent yesterday - Originally we were going to go back over Castle but opted to do the Saddle, as most people we saw went that way. It's steep with plenty of lose rock... hard but doable... Can't say I'd jump at the chance to do it again. There was some snow down the saddle, which surprisingly helped with gaining some traction. Just be patient with the mountain and your skills, and you'll be good.

What was slightly disturbing on Castle/Conundrum yesterday was on the way down, in the boulder field area, we saw a dog (named Jax...looked like a mutt with min-pin like coloring and medium sized) left tied up on a rug with some water while his owner was going up the mountain. At least he had water and a carpet to sleep on, but this was disturbing...if you don't plan on taking your dog up the mountain, why even bring the adorable pooch with you? At least the dog wasn't left in the car... Still not good though.

Castle/Conundrum... on Castle there are a few "difficult class 2" areas that I would classify as easy Class 3- reminded me of parts of the easier scrambling areas of Longs Peak.

Fun day for these two peaks! Gorgeous hike mid-September too - lots of good fall colors along Castle Creek.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

If you descend between the two without snow, wear a helmet. There is a section where you cannot see climbers above / below you and it is steep enough to become a shooting gallery for rocks.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

AdDoBe wrote:I prefer resummiting Castle and avoiding going down the saddle all together \:D/
This. When I did this combo, I went back over to Castle and watched the people descending from the saddle kicking rocks on each other, slipping and sliding, and cursing their way down. At the top of the road, I encountered a group of 4 that had gone down that route and let's just say that they were relieved to make it down without a serious injury.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I'd recommend re-summiting Castle again if you can spare the time... there were a few parts of the ascent up Castle that would be tricky going back down though, so we took that into account with timing and the level of terrain we were up for at that point in the day. I do remember seeing one or two cairns on the saddle descent though. I saw a few groups with helmets, the rest (including mine) without. Most people were being careful about making sure each group was down before descending the saddle...it wasn't a busy day on the mountains, so that helped. We definitely staggered our way down and luckily no rock falls.