Accessing Elkhead Pass Trail from Belford summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pnh25
Trip Reports (0)

Accessing Elkhead Pass Trail from Belford summit

Post by pnh25 »

I am considering hiking the Belford/Oxford summits in a week or so. How/Where do I access the Elkhead Pass trail on the descent from the Belford summit instead of the usual switchback descent
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Accessing Elkhead Pass Trail from Belford summit

Post by justiner »

At the trail between the two peaks, there is an offshoot trail, that takes you pretty much directly down to the pass.
tdliles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tdliles »

Easy to find. You can actually see the trail on google maps, going Southeast off the Belford summit. It then contours down and around to the Southwest to Elkhead. I MUCH preferred that route both up and down Belford (as far as my knees were concerned!).
Tom and Stef
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Here's a map - you can see the trail from Elkhead Pass and the standard route up Belford will converge as you go N.
belford.jpg
belford.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 267 times
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

In case more detail is desired: the above-mentioned offshoot trail is a few hundred feet from Belford's summit (in the direction of Oxford). It branches off at sort of shoulder, below which the Bel-Ox ridge becomes noticeably steeper. The junction isn't marked or signed, but as long as visibility is good, it'll be obvious (the trail to the pass is visible in almost its entirety).
pnh25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnh25 »

Thanks for the prompt replies! The map and descriptions are very helpful.