First Ever Winter Ascent

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: First Ever Winter Ascent

Post by Trotter »

Voshkm wrote:Perhaps I was a bit dramatic in previous comment. The weather was about as good as it could be this time of year. 20F but very sunny we spent most of the time with hoods off jackets open letting the steam out. The Avalanche danger was reduced per CAIC and tbh Sherman was far too windswept in the areas we came across for Ave's. (there were some deep drifts in places ((like the road)) making snowshoes a most, as we wanted). Ah yes the road, its kinda single lane and there were some nice Texans stuck in the middle of the road not allowing any pass. Another nice CO couple (stuck behind the Texans) was there helping. We were given no choice but to jump out of the truck and shovel and push their very nice Honda Accord off to the side. The CO couple decided to let us go first cuz we had a 4x4 lifted truck with oversized tires and snow chains. They at least had a 4x4, not an accord. Tex didn't even have a shovel, or a clue on driving in snow, probably would of spent the night if we all didn't come along. By the time we got on the trail after that it was 10am, we made it up to Leavick Site about 11500 I believe, before parking. A decision I regret but the group was getting anxious to start so instead of clearing another drift we started. While the temp was very nice, felt like 40 in the sun, I am too, old and too slow too out of shape to snowshoe most of the way. We went the winter route for about 100 vertical feet and realized that we were way too slow to make summit that way, so we shifted over to the standard trail which still needed snow shoes from time to time. we made 13 and it was 2pm, not sure where the time went but one of the kids, was waning like the sun, the wind picked up at that ele. and in knew we weren't going to make it. I didn't want to push so hard that none it would suck fun out and be turn off on future hikes. As we called it off we could see the Texns hurrying up in our broken trail. After discussing sundown and overnite temps, happily the Texns came down as well. For the most part it was a good first calendar Winter attempt with snowshoes. I believe if we can hit as good a window as we did that Sunday we will be successful. It was a good lesson for the kids about helping others at the expense of summiting. I only wish I had gotten back into making time for the Mountains while I was younger and fitter. back to the elliptical for me
Sounds like you made the right call.

The mountain will be there next week, next month, next year.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche