anyone want to do Quandary Peak-East Ridge Mid-Jan 2016?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eric10
Trip Reports (0)

anyone want to do Quandary Peak-East Ridge Mid-Jan 2016?

Post by eric10 »

Anyone interested/looking to do Quandary Peak - East Ridge, possible on Jan 15, 16 or 17?
I will be in town and do not want to do it alone since I have not climb/hiked it before?

was thinking of starting the hike around 6:30ish am.

My skill level is beginner/intermediate. Not comfortable doing it alone in the winter.

Or if anyone knows any groups or anyone else who is going or thinking of going around that time, if you could please advise that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Eric
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: anyone want to do Quandary Peak-East Ridge Mid-Jan 2016?

Post by AyeYo »

There's a large group doing it the prior weekend if you're around then.
eric10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eric10 »

AyeYo wrote:There's a large group doing it the prior weekend if you're around then.
Thanks for the reply, Jan 9-10th wkend? if so I will unfortunately not be able to :(
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If you go on Sunday and IT HAS NOT SNOWED IN THE PAST 24 HOURS you might have a pre-stomped trail from the Saturday crowd. This mainly applies to the forest section because once you get above the treeline the wind quickly erases footprints. Once you get on the ridge, the direction is pretty obvious by following ridge up.

However good weather should trump hoping for tracks.

I recommend you or someone in your group have navigation skills or devices. If there is a whiteout from falling snow or fog you may have trouble seeing where to go. And fresh snow can erase tracks. There is tricky spot as to when descend from the ridge to the switchbacks you could miss. Plus the correct exit from the forest.

Also be prepared for -20F wind chills on the windy high ridge. You get nose or finger frostbite quickly then. If its sunny, it could be 50F at a sunny trail head. Layer for both extremes.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

I may want to do Quandary on one of those weekends. It will depend on the weather, and a couple of other factors.

How close to the trailhead could you get with an ordinary 2WD sedan, assuming road conditions do not change much in the next two weeks?
rachel88
14ers: 6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rachel88 »

Point North wrote:I may want to do Quandary on one of those weekends. It will depend on the weather, and a couple of other factors.

How close to the trailhead could you get with an ordinary 2WD sedan, assuming road conditions do not change much in the next two weeks?
The lower trail head is right off co 9, which is paved. it is plowed, no bathrooms, no overnight parking. Trails leaving parking lot are obvious.
~She who climbs with goats