Durango Silverton Train

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Durango Silverton Train

Post by eskermo »

Purgatory IS possible for a short Chicago Basin trip.

A couple years ago, I drove down with a couple friends late Friday afternoon, and we started hiking at 10 PM Friday under a full moon. Set up camp around 10,500 below Chicago Basin around 3:30 AM. Had a perfect weather window for the next day, so we slept in. Started hiking at 9:30 AM, climbed the four 14ers during the day. Got back to camp Saturday around 11 PM. Slept until about 7 AM Sunday, hiked all the way out and got back to the trailhead by around 3. After dinner in Durango, we managed to get back to Denver by around 10 or 11 Sunday night and all go to work the next day. 42 miles, 12,000' vertical total, 41 hours, 0 time taken off work, 0 money spent on trains, 0 scheduling headaches.

It IS possible. And way easier (logistically). And way cheaper. And absolutely stunning scenery - I can't imagine the train possibly beating that hike.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

eskermo wrote:Purgatory IS possible for a short Chicago Basin trip.

A couple years ago, I drove down with a couple friends late Friday afternoon, and we started hiking at 10 PM Friday under a full moon. Set up camp around 10,500 below Chicago Basin around 3:30 AM. Had a perfect weather window for the next day, so we slept in. Started hiking at 9:30 AM, climbed the four 14ers during the day. Got back to camp Saturday around 11 PM. Slept until about 7 AM Sunday, hiked all the way out and got back to the trailhead by around 3. After dinner in Durango, we managed to get back to Denver by around 10 or 11 Sunday night and all go to work the next day. 42 miles, 12,000' vertical total, 41 hours, 0 time taken off work, 0 money spent on trains, 0 scheduling headaches.

It IS possible. And way easier (logistically). And way cheaper. And absolutely stunning scenery - I can't imagine the train possibly beating that hike.
You were young when you did this, weren't you?

:mrgreen:
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

As someone had already stated taking the Durango train might allow you to knock off Eolus/N.Eolus on the same day itself if you are really fit/pack UL and have excellent weather. I had excellent weather window during my time there and loved it. Whichever way you go, enjoy the area, my Chicago Basin trip was my best day in the mountains so far. It is one of the most beautiful area in the state that I have visited and only Kilpacker Basin beats it IMO.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

SkaredShtles wrote:

I was 25. However, one of my partners was 40 at the time and she absolutely killed it. Where there is a will, there is a way :)
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Stunning scenery of darkness.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

eskermo wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:

I was 25. However, one of my partners was 40 at the time and she absolutely killed it. Where there is a will, there is a way :)
So you were both young.

RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:As someone had already stated taking the Durango train might allow you to knock off Eolus/N.Eolus on the same day itself if you are really fit/pack UL and have excellent weather. I had excellent weather window during my time there and loved it. Whichever way you go, enjoy the area, my Chicago Basin trip was my best day in the mountains so far. It is one of the most beautiful area in the state that I have visited and only Kilpacker Basin beats it IMO.
Seriously? Kilpacker is amazing, and the classic view of El Diente towering above the lower falls is beautiful, but beating Chicago Basin??? No way.

The only thing Kilpacker beats Chicago Basin in is the lack of goats. I could have done without their constant harassment in Chicago. But in every other respect, I think Chicago Basin beats Kilpacker.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach