Snowmass west ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PMockler
Trip Reports (0)

Snowmass west ridge

Post by PMockler »

Looking to Climb Snowmass via west slope in July.

Has anyone cut over to the west ridge and gone up from there? See picture. Cutting up and across that scree may suk, but I'd rather do that and scramble the ridge than go up 1000+ feet of gully. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.44 KiB) Viewed 715 times
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Snowmass west ridge

Post by oldschool »

Been there twice...I'd go vertical, not traverse.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
bobalob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bobalob »

I agree, go vertical. The class 4 entry is much nicer in my opinion because the rock is nice and relatively solid. If you really want to avoid the gully you can follow the rib to the left of the route in your picture. There are cairns all over this face unfortunately but it is a good way to do snowmass.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

bobalob wrote:I agree, go vertical. The class 4 entry is much nicer in my opinion because the rock is nice and relatively solid. If you really want to avoid the gully you can follow the rib to the left of the route in your picture. There are cairns all over this face unfortunately but it is a good way to do snowmass.
Ditto that. We did that route (the rib to the left of the standard route) last year and found it to be a good hike. Not in the gully, which is often filled with snow, and not too much loose rock.
RonfarZ3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RonfarZ3 »

If you're looking to bypass the gulley of rock on the west slopes by taking the ridge, might I suggest the "S-Ridge"? My dad and I did it last year and it was really solid (as long as you keep on the Class 3/4 on that first gulley going back down).

Here is a helpful trip report (one of many) that we used: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

+1 on S Ridge. Great route, minimal scree, nice air but not terribly exposed. (We passed on the exposed "class 4 crux" referred to in the TR posted above.) It's a Roach "classic," with ~1800 vertical feet of mostly-great scrambling. Beats the west slopes hands down IMO.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer