Best Snowshoeing 14ers (if any)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gsmith219
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Best Snowshoeing 14ers (if any)

Post by gsmith219 »

I'm looking for a good 14er to snowshoe. I'm an experienced hiker but I don't have any gear like crampons or ice picks, and I'm hoping to take my girlfriend who is not as experienced as me. I just want something that's accessible in winter and can be done in a day without any climbing. Any ideas?
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Best Snowshoeing 14ers (if any)

Post by Trotter »

gsmith219 wrote:I'm looking for a good 14er to snowshoe. I'm an experienced hiker but I don't have any gear like crampons or ice picks, and I'm hoping to take my girlfriend who is not as experienced as me. I just want something that's accessible in winter and can be done in a day without any climbing. Any ideas?
Quandry is the obvious choice
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Corey17 »

I'll echo Quandary being the most obvious choice. It's got the benefit of a paved TH, which is really wonderful beyond words. Road hiking is long and tedious. However, you'll often find on Quandary that snowshoes are not needed, but only micro-spikes or similar. Quandary gets enough traffic that the snow turns into a well packed super-highway. Elbert is also a good bet, but again gets a ton of traffic. Also has either 2 miles on the road, or 2.5ish Colorado Trail miles each way. Bierstadt, Yale, Grays(watch the avy slopes on Kelso), Humboldt, and La Plata are other fine options. But for what you are looking for - Quandary all the way.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Unless you are really set on a winter 14'er for your first attempt -

How about a really great 13'er to break the ice :

Sniktau - easy access, totally safe (as long as you
stay away from the awesome cornices), short, and
FANTASTIC VIEWS ! (Snowshoes not really necessary.)

If you and your girlfriend enjoy the adventure, then try
Quandary.

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner
of the home page for more info.