Best climbs for late May/early June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alisha831
Trip Reports (0)

Best climbs for late May/early June

Post by Alisha831 »

I'm thinking of climbing Uncompagrhe peak late this month. Would it be possible with just crampons or would the snow be too deep? Are any 14ers doable during late spring?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Best climbs for late May/early June

Post by Cruiser »

I've got no current conditions info but I bet that the basin below Unc is a beautiful spot in the springtime with some snow still on the ground. Anybody got a couple of cool shots of that area during the melt?
Where ever you are... There you are.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Uncompaghre seems like it would make a decent spring climb, although there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. The road is closed in the winter due to snow at the Henson Creek/Nellie Creek junction which may add 8 miles round trip to your climb if it hasn't opened yet (which is usually in early June).
2. Depending on how much snow the area gets between now and your trip, there are areas of avalanche danger (including wet slide areas) in the upper parts of the Nellie Creek drainage below Uncompaghre so you will want to make sure you stay away from them and/or go with an experienced partner who can help you determine the danger levels.

A quick search of trip reports for May will give you a good idea of what to expect (disregard the reports from low snow years such as the ones from 2012 though as April-May in Colorado has been much wetter this year).

As far as your question of other 14ers being "doable" in the spring, many people climb Quandary's standard route and Sherman (from Leavick) early in the year as first time spring 14ers.

Have a good trip!

Kai
Last edited by kaiman on Fri May 06, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Are any 14ers doable during late spring?
All of them, but you should be prepared for snow on all of them as well. The Southern Sawatch, Pikes, and sometimes the Sangres usually has less snow than the other areas, but this varies from year to year. Routes such as the East Ridge of Elbert can be done without an ice axe, but on most peaks you had better take on and know how to use it.
Anybody got a couple of cool shots of that area during the melt?
Casey (SP member bc44caesar) has some good ones taken then:

http://www.summitpost.org/15-may-2004-m ... 0/c-186113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/15-may-2004-u ... 2/c-321427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seth8a
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seth8a »

I have been wondering this myself. I lived in and worked seasonally in the Fairplay area in the late 1990s, and climbed many 14ers during that time period, but live in the Midwest now and don't have a good bead on what the conditions are like in early to mid June. Would Sherman be climbable with my 10 year old daughter? Or, considering the heavy snow year, would there be too much snow near the summit and on the trail. We would probably be there around June 6th or 7th. I definitely do not want to take her on anything that is still heavily snow covered. Thanks in advance for advice!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

seth8a wrote:I have been wondering this myself. I lived in and worked seasonally in the Fairplay area in the late 1990s, and climbed many 14ers during that time period, but live in the Midwest now and don't have a good bead on what the conditions are like in early to mid June. Would Sherman be climbable with my 10 year old daughter? Or, considering the heavy snow year, would there be too much snow near the summit and on the trail. We would probably be there around June 6th or 7th. I definitely do not want to take her on anything that is still heavily snow covered. Thanks in advance for advice!
There will almost certainly be some snow, and likely quite a bit of it. That said, it's probably one of the better (i.e. shorter, easier, safer) options for a "kid's-friendly" 14er that time of year. It's a popular mountain and would likely have a good boot track through the snow-covered sections, especially if you go on a weekend. I'd suggest checking back on the "conditions" tab of this site from time to time, especially as you get closer to your trip: right now reports are still a little hard to come by, but as the season progresses they should pick up quite a bit.
seth8a
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seth8a »

AlexeyD wrote:
seth8a wrote:I have been wondering this myself. I lived in and worked seasonally in the Fairplay area in the late 1990s, and climbed many 14ers during that time period, but live in the Midwest now and don't have a good bead on what the conditions are like in early to mid June. Would Sherman be climbable with my 10 year old daughter? Or, considering the heavy snow year, would there be too much snow near the summit and on the trail. We would probably be there around June 6th or 7th. I definitely do not want to take her on anything that is still heavily snow covered. Thanks in advance for advice!
There will almost certainly be some snow, and likely quite a bit of it. That said, it's probably one of the better (i.e. shorter, easier, safer) options for a "kid's-friendly" 14er that time of year. It's a popular mountain and would likely have a good boot track through the snow-covered sections, especially if you go on a weekend. I'd suggest checking back on the "conditions" tab of this site from time to time, especially as you get closer to your trip: right now reports are still a little hard to come by, but as the season progresses they should pick up quite a bit.
Great to know, thanks so much! I can't wait to introduce my kids to some of my old stomping grounds. I'll keep checking back on reports.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Would Sherman be climbable with my 10 year old daughter?
It depends on the 10 year old, but I would say yes. At age 10, my son climbed Sherman on a cold day in January:

Sherman is a good year round climb for well prepared 10 year olds.
Or, considering the heavy snow year, would there be too much snow near the summit and on the trail
There will be snow in places, but rather than wait for it to melt, just go prepared for it. Take sunscreen, dark sunglasses, waterproof boots, and ski poles.

I'd also like to point out that this isn't really a heavy snow year. It's pretty average (at least for now). Statewide snowpack is at 106%:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/sta ... e_snow.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although 106% is a little above average, no area is the state is that far above or below average right now.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seth8a
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seth8a »

Scott P wrote:
Would Sherman be climbable with my 10 year old daughter?
It depends on the 10 year old, but I would say yes. At age 10, my son climbed Sherman on a cold day in January:

Sherman is a good year round climb for well prepared 10 year olds.
Or, considering the heavy snow year, would there be too much snow near the summit and on the trail
There will be snow in places, but rather than wait for it to melt, just go prepared for it. Take sunscreen, dark sunglasses, waterproof boots, and ski poles.

I'd also like to point out that this isn't really a heavy snow year. It's pretty average (at least for now). Statewide snowpack is at 106%:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/sta ... e_snow.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although 106% is a little above average, no area is the state is that far above or below average right now.
Great info! We have the boots--and I have cross country ski poles, so that is a great recommendation. I am personally not averse to snow at all . . . but the 10 year old has lived her whole life in the Midwest (and we edge toward the Southern part) so doesn't have much experience with it. Thanks, great forum!!
Chrisut11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chrisut11 »

Some friends and I are considering Uncompahgre the 2nd week of June, but I'm receiving mixed reviews on the snow conditions during that time. We are staying in Crested Butte and plan on a day hike....does anyone have suggestions of summits that are closest to that area with moderate snow conditions, not requiring snow shoes or crampons?
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Snowmass from Snowmass Lake is best done before the snow really starts to melt. After that, the rocks get exposed and the mountain becomes a chossy mess.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach